• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Comparisons and differences in the current "Alpha" bins? (1 Viewer)

Pileatus

"Experientia Docet”
United States
I have been looking for an SLC 10x56 for astro use however they are impossible to find in the U.S. Have you an opinion regarding your 8x56 at night?

George
I use a 10X50 SV hand-held during the day and mounted at night for astronomy.
I have been looking for an SLC 10x56 for astro use however they are impossible to find in the U.S. Have you an opinion regarding your 8x56 at night?

George
Are you using a binocular mount for astronomy use?

George
I purchased a 10X50 SV primarily for backyard astronomy use, though I often use it during the day. I immediately constructed a binocular mount that allows me to lie back in a chair, align the binoculars to my eyes and sit back and watch a completely stabilized view of the night sky. The difference between hand-held and stabilized viewing with a binocular is impossible to explain. For me, it's the difference between OK and WOW that's truly amazing. I also mount the following: 7X42 SLC, 8.5X42 SV, 8X32 SV and my Nikon 8X32 SE. Mounted, the best choice I have is the 10X50 SV. For casual hand-held sessions I prefer the 7X42 SLC, though my wife's 8X32 SV is the stellar hand-held choice for pure enjoyment.

The so-called flat field of the SV is a real benefit when viewing the night sky.

Here's a photo...

Attachments

• DSC01171.JPG
    DSC01171.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 19

[email protected]

Supporter
I use a 10X50 SV hand-held during the day and mounted at night for astronomy.

Are you using a binocular mount for astronomy use?

I purchased a 10X50 SV primarily for backyard astronomy use, though I often use it during the day. I immediately constructed a binocular mount that allows me to lie back in a chair, align the binoculars to my eyes and sit back and watch a completely stabilized view of the night sky. The difference between hand-held and stabilized viewing with a binocular is impossible to explain. For me, it's the difference between OK and WOW that's truly amazing. I also mount the following: 7X42 SLC, 8.5X42 SV, 8X32 SV and my Nikon 8X32 SE. Mounted, the best choice I have is the 10X50 SV. For casual hand-held sessions I prefer the 7X42 SLC, though my wife's 8X32 SV is the stellar hand-held choice for pure enjoyment.

The so-called flat field of the SV is a real benefit when viewing the night sky.

Here's a photo...
Flat field is great for astro use because you see the stars right to the edge. Even that 8x32 SV is better mounted isn't it. It is funny but even 8x improves on a tripod.

M&P805

Supporter
United States
Still waiting for the Orion Monster Parallelogram to be delivered. Currently either hand held or struggling with the Oberwerk monopod in a zero gravity chair.

Pileatus

"Experientia Docet”
United States
Still waiting for the Orion Monster Parallelogram to be delivered. Currently either hand held or struggling with the Oberwerk monopod in a zero gravity chair.
My scientific response is "okie dokie that should stabilize whatever binocular you choose!"
No matter what bin you mount you will enjoy a dramatic difference in viewing pleasure.
Enjoy.

Conndomat

United States of Europe
Europe

George
Hi George,

The SLC 8x56 needs an extremely dark sky, there are only very few places in Germany where you can still use the glass in the sky!
In addition, the eye pupil should be beyond 6mm. otherwise it makes no sense.
I think the 10x56 is the more sensible binoculars for Astro.
Otherwise, the SLC 8x56 has a great look, I also often use it day and night to observe owls, deer, badgers and other nocturnal animals.

Users who are viewing this thread