• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comprehensive list of taxonomic authorities (1 Viewer)

Ross Ahmed

Hi all

Could someone provide a list of all organisations/publications/individuals who publish species lists based on their own taxonomy.

So far I have:

BOU
AOU
Clements
Norbert Bahr
Howard & Moore Checklist
Handbook of Birds of the World
www.worldbirdnames.org

Please be aware, that science by definition looks for truth, not follows authority.

The concept of "taxonomic authority" is strictly speaking anti-scientific, more like lists of sport medalists etc.

Please be aware, that science by definition looks for truth, not follows authority.

The concept of "taxonomic authority" is strictly speaking anti-scientific, more like lists of sport medalists etc.

Peer-review is subjecting your work to authority. Is that "anti-scientific" ?

If I am using a check-list for a region I do not know well, I would rather have a local committee full of experts figure out the best taxonomy for those birds then rely on someone else who knows the region less well. You have to start from some baseline.

Andy

Australia nd New Guinea Checklists

Peer-review is subjecting your work to authority. Is that "anti-scientific" ?

If I am using a check-list for a region I do not know well, I would rather have a local committee full of experts figure out the best taxonomy for those birds then rely on someone else who knows the region less well. You have to start from some baseline.

Andy

I keep two checklists which i basically compiled a few years back as the national lists for both New Guinea and Australia were decades out of date and very conservative in their taxonomy. I follow the IOC to a large extent but have a few things where i differ e.g 3 species of shrike-tit, splitting the Ringnecks etc. Both checklists are online at my Sicklebill Safaris website and I update them every few months, in fact both are now in need of revision but I've been way in Africa for 2 months.

Quoted from an earlier thread:

Hopefully the inclusion of the entire Arabian Peninsula and Iran in the forthcoming Handbook of Western Palearctic Birds (Shirihai & Svensson) will help in moving on from BWP's rather minimalist (economic?) definition of the region.

Richard

Richard,

do you know if Handbook of Western Palearctic Birds (Shirihai & Svensson) includes Socotra in the WP? I see you include it in your Holarctic list.

Ian

Quoted from an earlier thread:

Hopefully the inclusion of the entire Arabian Peninsula and Iran in the forthcoming Handbook of Western Palearctic Birds (Shirihai & Svensson) will help in moving on from BWP's rather minimalist (economic?) definition of the region.

Richard

Richard,

do you know if Handbook of Western Palearctic Birds (Shirihai & Svensson) includes Socotra in the WP? I see you include it in your Holarctic list.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Socotra is not included in their Handbook.

Marcel

Richard,
Ian, I don't think that Socotra will be included in HWPB.

I included it in the Holarctic checklist as it's both part of the OSME region and politically part of the Republic of Yemen. But I accept that it's outside the Palearctic, and I clearly indicate the 12 species restricted to the Socotra archipelago.

Ian, I don't think that Socotra will be included in HWPB.

I included it in the Holarctic checklist as it's both part of the OSME region and politically part of the Republic of Yemen. But I accept that it's outside the Palearctic, and I clearly indicate the 12 species restricted to the Socotra archipelago.

Thanks, but that's 11 fewer WP ticks for me, if I choose to follow HWPB,

Ian

But nobody can keep track of all the science going on, so lists of the latest agreed regional taxonomies are essential references for scientific field work. If you find the phrase "taxonomic authority" unacceptable, try "taxonomy maintainer" "-editor" or substitute your own option.

BTW I think some of the genetic taxonomists are in danger of going too far for field workers. If you can't identify it in the field you can't study it in the field and useful science, as opposed to laboratory listing, grinds to a halt.

John

I remember several cases where the field marks to separate two taxa were only worked out after they were split, so I remain optimistic ;)

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back