• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (11 Viewers)

2 Red Kites today - 1 lingering around Tapenhall and another over Coney Meadow.
2 Ravens between Salwarpe and Ladywood
Typical mid-summer butterflies, including Ringlets, Meadow Browns and Marbled Whites

A reasonable gathering of Swallows over Coney this evening - around 40 plus 4 Sand Martins.
House Martin's and Swifts also.

2 Glow worms this evening - both along the Roman Way.

A few photos of the site attached:

1. Visitor information / interpretation board
2. Coney Meadow looking north
3. Pollarded Willows along the River Salwarpe
4. North end of Coney Meadow looking towards Droitwich Woods
5. Droitwich Canal looking south with mature trees around Salwarpe village / churchyard.

Another brief visit late this afternoon produced 17 Teal, 7 Snipe, male Sparrowhawk, Grey Heron and singing Water Rails.
love the creek it's so pretty & is it deep?

love the creek it's so pretty & is it deep?
Hi,

The River Salwarpe is little more than a large stream really (less than 10 yards wide at this point). It is very pretty in places. It's generally quite shallow - maybe 3 feet typically but there are some weir pools that create deep areas. It contains quite a lot of fish and I have had some great views of otters in there in the past. 👍

Botanical Gold

Probably the rarest vascular plant that occurs on the patch - the Deptford Pink.

This species is now only found in about 30-odd sites in the UK and we are very fortunate to have them flowering now in one small area near Hawford.

Attachments

• 20210702_112600.jpg
    20210702_112600.jpg
    880.9 KB · Views: 9
2 Oystercatchers near the confluence this morning.
A Red Kite circling around Harford hill early afternoon
2 adult and 3 young Greylags near the small pool between Chatley and Hawford
Kestrels and Buzzards
Singing Yellowhammer just north west of Salwarpe
Family party of Coot on Tapenhall pool
Linnets
The usual Warblers including 2 singing Cetti's and 2 Lesser Whitethroats
Sand Martin near Coney with mixed hirundines
Marbled Whites
My first Brown Hawker of the year
Black-tailed Skimmer

Attachments

• 20210702_083812.jpg
    20210702_083812.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
Noticed a rather large grasssnake floating in canal in Salwarpe (by bend beside cottages). Fished it out to measure. 112cm long - a bit of a whopper, average length is published as 75-80cm with largest ever in UK being 1.8m. Some damage around neck (though snakes do tend to have quite a long neck don't they) and near tail. Possibly attacked by birds when in open water.

Attachments

• 20210703_193436.jpg
    20210703_193436.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
Nice to know that Deptford Pink is there - i last saw a relatively large clump on the dual carriageway just before the Ombersley turnoff for Grimmers. I made a mental note as it plainly wasn’t Red Campion. Upon the return leg we parked up and sure enough about 100 plants over about 5 linear yards x2. That was about 10 years ago so i cannot vouch but am going to Grimmers today so will keep an eye open along the whole of the central reservation strip as this tends to be little mown compared to the verges.

Good birding.....and botanising -

Laurie :)

Laurie,

Look for the 'roadside verge nature reserve' posts between the Chatley turn off and Hawford Mill along the A449. I saw about half a dozen along that section.

A pretty decent morning for July:

5 Lapwings in sparse field near the gallop along Egg Lane
Pair of Tufted Duck on Tapenhall pool
Hobby over Tapenhall
2 (possibly 3) Red Kites in the area
Sparrowhawk and Buzzards
Coot
2 Ravens between Salwarpe and Ladywood

17 Glow worms seen this evening - 4 on Gorsey Bank, 3 near the allotments and 10 along the Roman Way.

1 Hobby and 5+ Noctule bats over Coney at dusk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back