• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirm ID Central France (1 Viewer)

Mike Beer

Can I have a ID on this bird please, photographed in our garden In Central France on 27th September. Also in the garden at the same time were a few Cirl Bunting but this bird looks a different unless the light was playing tricks.

Mike

Attachments

• DSCN7646.jpeg
    DSCN7646.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 155
Difficult picture, when I first saw it and read the comment, I agreed with Cirl Bunting. It was mainly because of the head pattern with paralell stripes and a small, narrow pale ear-coverts patch (=Cirl Bunting jizz-head).
But the stocky built, the big bill with the right shape, appearant lack of at least some white in the outer tail feathers, the appearent narrow straight pale edges to the tertials are all better for Corn Bunting (I write appearent because these points are difficult to judge here)
In most Corn Bunting the moustachial stripe is curved concave (or vertically straight downwards) and not parallel with a gently upward bending nearly sourrunding the rear ear-coverts. But this bird here seems just within variation for Corn Bunting.

More, extensive white fringing to median coverts is also better for Corn Bunting.

Conclusion? I am still unsure about this bird. Are there more pictures, which allows the above mentioned points to be judged more clearly, and exclude the possibility that a pitfall picture is involved here?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back