• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Confirm ID central France (1 Viewer)

Mike Beer

Hello. I took these photographs yesterday in Jaunoux central France. I saw something move in the hedge and pointed the camera in the general direction and took a burst. By the time I looked through the view finder it had gone. Please confirm Chiff Chaff. These are the only pictures I have.

Mike

Attachments

• 0DD8CDD6-15BA-4742-931C-B8EDD5CE305A_1_201_a.jpeg
    0DD8CDD6-15BA-4742-931C-B8EDD5CE305A_1_201_a.jpeg
    560.7 KB · Views: 71
  • E33E93B4-22D5-4F37-8FA6-64BA4BDBEA92_1_201_a.jpeg
    E33E93B4-22D5-4F37-8FA6-64BA4BDBEA92_1_201_a.jpeg
    672.8 KB · Views: 71

Alexander Stöhr

Hello Mike,
I agree with you, its either a Chiffchaff or a Willow Warbler. There are still a few WW around in central Europe, so I wouldnt dismiss this just by date.
I think its one of those "WW-look alike Chiffchaffs", but what a hard bird, at least for me.

• smooth yellowish underparts are pronounced by warm light, shifting it towards WW
  • I think, the long pp of a WW would be visible here
  • its hard to find a WW with such a contrasting white eye-ring, where white hues are lacking in the rest of the face
  • eye-stripe is to narrow/fine for an ID-book WW at least
  • I would hope/expect to see the dark lower frame to the ear-coverts present in many WW
Conclusion? A Chiffchaff for me, too. But I am happy to accept the point of view, that others might consider this bird as uniadable with 100% confidence.

Users who are viewing this thread