• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirm IDs Central France (1 Viewer)

Mike Beer

Hello I took these photographs yesterday in Central France, both birds were a long way away. Please confirm 1. Black Redstart 2. Red-backed Shrike.

Mike

Attachments

• EA92DCEF-E591-4153-8E9D-2BD4F46986CE_1_201_a.jpeg
    EA92DCEF-E591-4153-8E9D-2BD4F46986CE_1_201_a.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 947DADDB-7ED3-4529-9C85-E537E64621D3_1_201_a.jpeg
    947DADDB-7ED3-4529-9C85-E537E64621D3_1_201_a.jpeg
    680.5 KB · Views: 133
Hello I took these photographs yesterday in Central France, both birds were a long way away. Please confirm 1. Black Redstart 2. Red-backed Shrike.

Mike
Can I ask you what type of location did you find the red-backed shrike. I'm going to visit family for the second time this year and red-backed shrike is on my list. Sadly on my first visit I was not able to find the RBS even though I checked areas that resembled its habitats, did get the golden oriole, montagu's and cirl though. My family lives in a rural area on the far centre west of France, what was the type of area that you found yours?

Can I ask you what type of location did you find the red-backed shrike. I'm going to visit family for the second time this year and red-backed shrike is on my list. Sadly on my first visit I was not able to find the RBS even though I checked areas that resembled its habitats, did get the golden oriole, montagu's and cirl though. My family lives in a rural area on the far centre west of France, what was the type of area that you found yours?
Mixed habitat, scrubby areas with bushes, mature hedgerows, etc.

(y) Just thought, if this current extremely hot weather continues it’s worth looking at low branches on large trees instead of just atop bushes, the shrikes appreciate the shade at the moment!

(y) Just thought, if this current extremely hot weather continues it’s worth looking at low branches on large trees instead of just atop bushes, the shrikes appreciate the shade at the moment!
Thanks, that makes sense. In my search for them and the orioles I got severely sunburnt on my back. I sometimes forget how hot France can get... my problem is that I never give up.

Sorry I did not answer before but I have been away for a few days. I found the Red-backed Shrike in our garden, we have a large rear Orchard and I saw if fly into one of our fruit trees. We are in the centre of France very rural area.

Mike

Sorry I did not answer before but I have been away for a few days. I found the Red-backed Shrike in our garden, we have a large rear Orchard and I saw if fly into one of our fruit trees. We are in the centre of France very rural area.

Mike
There’s a garden that one of the farmer has where there are a few fruit trees, probably going to stake that out then. Thanks.

Hi, If I may add something more here:
My experience with observing Red-backed Shrikes by now is that they always could be found in nature reserves,
also nearby a bush alongside a barbed wire fence to attach insects to it.
Cattle was also almost always nearby. Good luck.
Here is a video of a friend who filmed them lately while we were watching them this year:

Hi, If I may add something more here:
My experience with observing Red-backed Shrikes by now is that they always could be found in nature reserves,
also nearby a bush alongside a barbed wire fence to attach insects to it.
Cattle was also almost always nearby. Good luck.
Here is a video of a friend who filmed them lately while we were watching them this year:
Sadly I’m in an area where the majority of land is just vineyards and cornfields however the last time I visited I did find my first field with a barbed wire fence and sheep. When I visit next summer, I’ll make sure to spend extra time there. I have a feeling that the huge amount of pesticides being used is the main reason why I have not found a RBS.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back