• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Confirm Insect ID please - Cambs. UK (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All

Took these pics a short while back at Trumpington Meadows, near Cambridge, UK. And I need to confirm identification.

1 - Tachina fera
2 - Variable Wasp Hoverfly (Chrysotoxum elegans)
3 - Chrysotoxum bicinctum
4 - Melangyna compositarum
5 - Mirid Bug (Deraeocoris ruber)

Thanks, Gareth

Attachments

• image208.jpg
    image208.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image209.jpg
    image209.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 24
  • image210.jpg
    image210.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 17
  • image215.jpg
    image215.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 21
  • image216.jpg
    image216.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 23

Ficedula

velico ergo sum
Hi All

Took these pics a short while back at Trumpington Meadows, near Cambridge, UK. And I need to confirm identification.

1 - Tachina fera
2 - Variable Wasp Hoverfly (Chrysotoxum elegans)
3 - Chrysotoxum bicinctum
4 - Melangyna compositarum
5 - Mirid Bug (Deraeocoris ruber)

Thanks, Gareth

I would be cautious with the Melangyna, few key features visible.

stuartelsom

Just had a look at this and on 2, the yellow bands narrow towards the centre of the abdomen and are more like female Chrysotoxum arcuatum than C. elegans, which has broader and squarer bands. The rounder more globular abdomen also recalls arcuatum, whereas elegans is narrow and more tapered. Can I just double check that this image was definitely taken in Cambs?

Nice pics by the way!

Stu

Ficedula

velico ergo sum
Just had a look at this and on 2, the yellow bands narrow towards the centre of the abdomen and are more like female Chrysotoxum arcuatum than C. elegans, which has broader and squarer bands. The rounder more globular abdomen also recalls arcuatum, whereas elegans is narrow and more tapered. Can I just double check that this image was definitely taken in Cambs?

Nice pics by the way!

Stu

I too was worried about the abdomen shape, but arcuata is readily ruled out on antennal proportions. verralli is the confusion species but I decided elegans look closer, although I wouldn't put any money on it. Where do you get your info on the yellow abdominal bands? seems to be other way round to me?

Last edited:

Rotherbirder

I too was worried about the abdomen shape, but arcuata is readily ruled out on antennal proportions. verralli is the confusion species but I decided elegans look closer, although I wouldn't put any money on it. Where do you get your info on the yellow abdominal bands? seems to be other way round to me?

I'd be more inclined to go verralli but they aren't easy from images.

RB

DoghouseRiley

Another picture which might help?

Hi Stuart
To confirm, Trumpington Meadows, Cambridge
The two new pictures attached were taken earlier in the same area, I thought they were the same type.....
Hope this helps with the ID.
Gareth

Attachments

• image218.jpg
    image218.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 12
  • image219.jpg
    image219.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 14

DoghouseRiley

I have just had a look at Ball & Morris (2nd Ed.) The other Chrysotoxum illustrated (arcutum, cautum, elegans & verralli) all have a yellow scutellum, with a black mark in the middle. The photo of C.bicinctum shows it as black with a tiny line below it, much like my photo

stuartelsom

Hi,

C bicinctum is fairly straightforward, but the other Chrysotoxums are tricky as others have said. Verallii is probably most likely locally anyway.

Stu

Users who are viewing this thread