• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Confused by “Improved” Trinovid Case (1 Viewer)

SCwatcher

United States
So I’ve been visiting Bird Forum for several years, but this is the first time I’ve posted.

I‘ve just purchased the Trinovid HD 8X42, which now includes a thin brown neoprene “cover” (hard to call it a case) that zips down the front and back. The widely scorned “adventure“ strap/case that previously was included at least made some sense and was functional.

I’m baffled by this new demi-case. It fits the binos and if you work hard you can squeeze in the strap. But there is no strap to connect to the case so you can carry the case like any other binocular you’ve ever seen. There are two holes on the back that look like you’re supposed to push through some sort of connector, which conveniently is not included or shown on Leica’s website.

So the only options seem to be that you have to carry the “case” in your hands OR thread the neck strap through the case back holes and then every time you use the binos you have this thin neoprene thing dangling at your mouth or chin.

I must be missing something obvious here as there is nothing in the user manual about connecting/using this case thing. The obvious solution is to just toss this thing and get a third party case. I just hate to waste. Frankly, Leica shouldn’t even bother including this. It’s odd that you can get a decent padded Zeiss case for less than $30 at BH Photo Video.

Anybody have a better understanding of this case/storage sleeve?

Thanks.

Anon2020

I too find this fashion for “unusable” cases perplexing and can’t figure out why the traditional padded case with a fold-over flap is no longer considered satisfactory.

I’ve invested in several Lowepro Scout SH100 cases which I can purchase for between £8 & £10 in the UK and will accept most average sized x 30 or x 42 bins. They are of far higher quality than most bino manufacturer OEM cases and I simply throw away the supplied internal dividers and cut out the internal pocket.

Attachments

• 532BB581-352E-44C6-BB0C-FE0E07AFDEE1.jpeg
    532BB581-352E-44C6-BB0C-FE0E07AFDEE1.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 34

chill6x6

I agree! I'm not crazy about that "case" either. IMO it wasn't a well thought-out idea. It's too nice of a binocular to have that crazy thing included. I ordered a new case immediately!

wdc

When I purchased an 8x32 Trinovid HD a few years back on a trip, the salesman at the Leica Store set it up for me to demonstrate how the whole system worked. The strap is threaded through the holes in the case, so you can wear it over your shoulder, then unzip and slide off the case, and do your viewing while the case is still attached to the straps. When you're done, you can pull the stretchy case back over the bin, and zip it up again. Works reasonably well for sight-seeing in a city, whether in a museum, outside, or at the theater, and the 8x32, zipped into its pouch, is fairly unobtrusive when worn in a restaurant (perhaps with a tweed jacket). So it appears to be some designer's idea of a fashionable accessory for the cosmopolitan traveler, who happens to wander into a Leica Store... In that context it works, and I've used it that way from time to time.

For birding, the case/strap arrangement is pointless, as the case on the straps often ends up dangling in your face. There's just no purpose keeping the case on the straps if you're using the binoculars constantly.

I do like that binocular, and use it as a loaner when I take friends and family out to bird. It's got enough relief for eyeglasses, and seems to fit non eyeglass wearers just as well. The multi-stop eyecups are precise, the focus buttery smooth, and the view is lovely, even if not cutting edge with regard to FOV or edge sharpness specs. Currently it sits in my studio, so I can check out what's in the pine tree across street when I'm practicing work avoidance. I should also note that 8x42 Zeiss Conquest eyepiece covers fit them really well, in a loose fashion, the way I like eyepiece covers to fit.

Question for Chuck: What case do you recommend as a replacement?

Enjoy your new Trinovid! (but maybe get a new case)

Cheers, Bill

Attachments

• Trinovid.1.sm.jpg
    Trinovid.1.sm.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

tenex

reality-based
I haven't tried this case thingy, but it somehow reminds me of the thin napa-leather case the old Trinovid BAs came in, which might actually have inspired it. The nice thing about those is once removed, they roll up small and stuff into a pocket or whatever, which I've always found very clever and convenient. (The awkward thing was always the strap and how or whether it threaded through the case.)

Yeti Man

Out there !
United States
I too find this fashion for “unusable” cases perplexing and can’t figure out why the traditional padded case with a fold-over flap is no longer considered satisfactory.

I’ve invested in several Lowepro Scout SH100 cases which I can purchase for between £8 & £10 in the UK and will accept most average sized x 30 or x 42 bins. They are of far higher quality than most bino manufacturer OEM cases and I simply throw away the supplied internal dividers and cut out the internal pocket.
I want to thank Anon for the Lowepro Scout SH100 suggestion.

It is discontinued now, but I was able to find two NOS ones on ebay for $11 each shipped from Robert's Camera.

I had just ordered an open box 8x42 Trinovid HD from B&H, and they all arrived on the same day which made the combo with the Trinovid and case seemlessly feel like they go together from the get go.

The Trinovid fits like they were made for each other.

The other one is currently the new home for A Zeiss 8x32.

Users who are viewing this thread