• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confused, I am. Buzzard? Hawk? What? (1 Viewer)

louisberk

Here are some photographs I took in Radnage which is in the Chilterns in Buckinghamshire in the middle of the week. I go there to photograph Red Kites which I am familiar with, viz identification. These photos confuse me.

When I turned up this bird flew around me, much in the same kind of circling, winding pattern as a Red Kite. I did not think much about it at the time but it clearly is not a Kite.
Is it a Buzzard?
One wild suggestion (from the Fuji X-T3 Wildlife FB group) is that it is a Broad Winged Hawk from the US possibly blown over here during migration!
_XSF1639.jpg

Later on I photographed this bird which I also took to be the same bird, in better light and also a buzzard? Again, the same poster suggested a hawk of some kind.
_XSF1796.jpg
And in flight a little later (I think it is the same bird)
_XSF1745.jpg

Finally, I photographed this bird the next day which I assume is definitely a Buzzard?
_XSF2326.jpg

BTW, just so you know I am definitely trying to improve my bird identification skills here is a Milvus milvus.
_XSF2056.jpg

Thanks for any help in advancing my bird identification skills.

All Common Buzzard apart from the Red Kite at the bottom which you correctly identified. Buzzards can be vary variable in plumage.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back