• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Considering giving up on digiscoping (1 Viewer)

jlacasci

United States
I'm not trying to start a flame war, so please take my comments in context from my experience as a photographer. I recently purchased a Kowa TSN 883 with 25-60 eyepiece, phone adapter, and Kowa adapters for my Canon professional bodies. I am blown away by the optics looking through the scope with my eye. I am far less satisfied with the image quality with my Canon body attached, and even less so phone scoping. I've been a photographer for 40 years, but not video (I only mention video as I know some folks are taking 4K video or higher through their scope and obtaining prints from this). My tripod is the best 3 section carbon that Manfrotto sells. The images just don't cut it compared to when using a 100-500mm Canon RF even with a 2x teleconverter. I suspect my expectations were just too high. I love the idea of a 2000mm focal length, but I'm just disappointed to the point where I may sell the entire setup. Have other folks experienced the same thing?

Thanks,
Joe

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
I truly enjoyed digiscoping but due to an injury to my shoulder I just couldn't handle the weight any longer and I just didn't enjoy doing it on a tripod.

horukuru

Here I Come !
Malaysia
I'm not trying to start a flame war, so please take my comments in context from my experience as a photographer. I recently purchased a Kowa TSN 883 with 25-60 eyepiece, phone adapter, and Kowa adapters for my Canon professional bodies. I am blown away by the optics looking through the scope with my eye. I am far less satisfied with the image quality with my Canon body attached, and even less so phone scoping. I've been a photographer for 40 years, but not video (I only mention video as I know some folks are taking 4K video or higher through their scope and obtaining prints from this). My tripod is the best 3 section carbon that Manfrotto sells. The images just don't cut it compared to when using a 100-500mm Canon RF even with a 2x teleconverter. I suspect my expectations were just too high. I love the idea of a 2000mm focal length, but I'm just disappointed to the point where I may sell the entire setup. Have other folks experienced the same thing?

Thanks,
Joe

It is understandable the scopes was built mainly for observation and getting pics/videos through it is a bonus for and even with that, mixed results are obtained with many factors such as heat haze, type of glass inside the scope, camera+lens+adapter combo etc. What I normally do, I shoot at lowest magnification on my Swarovski STX95 scope which is at 30x and cranked the zoom up to 70x if I need to document rare subjects regardless of the quality output. But the closer I could get to my subject, the better quality I got, but not up to the standard of prime telephoto lenses which is built for images/videos. That's what scope were built for.

Have you tried observe anything with your long lens for more than a minute? If yes, was the feeling of WOW is similar like how you observed with your Kowa scope? If not, then you know the answers for your questions above.

Ian Byrnes

Hello Joe
Unlike you I have not been a photographer for as many years as you. I started as a birder progressing through scopes & old bridge cameras, to better scopes which would enable me to phonescope. ending up with a Zeiss 85 T-FL (20-75), adapters & S10 phone. The video results, in my opinion, were amazing but the limitations for reaction shots, BIF & small birds was very frustrating so got myself a Nikon D500, Sigma 150-600 & 1.4 TC & after trial & error and much practice was blown away by the results.
I got myself a Novagrade camera adapter from the US & tried the D500 on the scope expecting super far reaching results. Like you I was dissapointed. I also have good CF tripods & good heads but it still doesn't offer the flexibility or results of a hand held camera.
I will never sell my scope etc as I love the feel, quality & build of the set up but only take the kit out occasionally now when I feel like doing some videos as it's 4K on the phone. Like you, as with your Kowa, I really thought my Zeiss would give me the type of results without the cost of using a prime ( although I've never used one). As a birder I need a scope & the view with my phone as a viewfinder are amazing but when you have the photographer bug I don't think you can beat pro Canon/ Nikon / Sony bodies.
Regards
Ian

jlacasci

United States
Thanks Ian. You've described my issue pretty well. What led me down this road wasn't really birding. I went to Yellowstone this July and knew that the distances were substantial and I would need more reach. Understanding the importance of optics, I wanted to use a high-quality scope. I needed time to get comfortable with the Novagrade and my phone (Samsung S21 Ultra) and my Canon. Renting for a month (time to use it then 2 weeks in the park) was going to run me close to $800. So I purchased the 88, Novagrade, 25-60 and it came with the 88 cover, and the equipment to attach the Canon. All in was around $3700.00. I already owned the Manfrotto so no loss there. If I decide to sell, I'm hoping I can get 2900.00 for it all. That would be the same price as me renting it all in the end. I did get to see wolves and pups in Lamar valley and a grizzly nearly three or four miles away. I'll be looking for a place to sell the gear perhaps next week.

Thanks,
Joe

Ian Byrnes

Thanks Ian. You've described my issue pretty well. What led me down this road wasn't really birding. I went to Yellowstone this July and knew that the distances were substantial and I would need more reach. Understanding the importance of optics, I wanted to use a high-quality scope. I needed time to get comfortable with the Novagrade and my phone (Samsung S21 Ultra) and my Canon. Renting for a month (time to use it then 2 weeks in the park) was going to run me close to $800. So I purchased the 88, Novagrade, 25-60 and it came with the 88 cover, and the equipment to attach the Canon. All in was around $3700.00. I already owned the Manfrotto so no loss there. If I decide to sell, I'm hoping I can get 2900.00 for it all. That would be the same price as me renting it all in the end. I did get to see wolves and pups in Lamar valley and a grizzly nearly three or four miles away. I'll be looking for a place to sell the gear perhaps next week.

Thanks,
Joe
Hi Joe
If there's one big difference, I only ever see birds & may be a few dear....there certainly aren't any Grizzlies or Wolves in Britain other than in Zoos & Safari Parks...so you certainly did benefit by buying the Kowa etc. Let's hope you sell them all.
Best wishes
Ian

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread