• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Constantly calling Great Horned Owl. (1 Viewer)

LorisA

Loris
We have a 5 acre woodlot behind our house here in Southwestern Ontario, Canada, and a large cemetery across the road from us, and have lived here for 35 years. We have seen and heard GHOs on many occasions and it's a treat to hear them calling back and forth from the woodlot to somewhere in the large trees in the cemetery. Occasionally, one will stop in the large pine trees right on the edge of our yard, and sometimes we can pick him/or her out with our flashlights. Once we spotted 2 owls hanging out in a large tree in the daytime and even got some poor quality pictures. Poor because of the crappy cameras we have.

I tell you all this so that you can be comfortable that I know a GHO call very well.

OK... to my question.
For the past several weeks, we have been hearing one calling constantly ALL DAY LONG from the woodlot behind our house. Once evening sets, it stops, and may only call sporadically once in a while. I have never been able to hear any answering calls during the day. It just calls maybe every 20 seconds or so all day long, sunny, or cloudy.
I haven't ventured into the woods to try to see it, because every time I have gone into there in the recent past I have collected 5 or 6 ticks!

I'm hoping someone on here might be able to shed some light on this (to me) strange behaviour.

I HAVE read that in October, in this climate, GHOs establish their territories. Could it be a young Owl setting up his spot for the first time?

Confused in Ontario|:S|

Sounds most like an unmated individual getting desperate.

The only other possibility I can think of is whether the owner of the woodlot might have set up a player to play their calls to try to attract one??

Thanks for the reply.
That thought crossed my mind today, (but not the owner of the woodlot .. not from around here) but then it's been going on for several weeks, and only during the daytime.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back