• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Cooper's Hawk (1 Viewer)

Brink

The bird in this photo is undoubtedly an adult Cooper's. The thing that puzzles me is its size. This bird was the size of a LARGE Red-Tailed Hawk. The attached photo was taken from long distance with an SX30, and doesn't really put the size in great perspective.

My question is this: Could this be a Cooper'sxRed-Tailed or Cooper'sXGoshawk or something?

I know that size varies a lot in these birds, but I have never seen one nearly this big.

Attachments

• BigCoop.JPG
    BigCoop.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 59

ceasar

I agree that it is a Cooper's hawk; probably a large female fluffed up in the cold. Sizes of raptors are very difficult to estimate without a nearby frame of reference. Coopers can be from 14 to 19 inches in length and RTH's 17 to 22 inches in length per Wheeler and RTHs are much bulkier.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread