• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Cooper's or Sharp-shinned Hawk? (1 Viewer)

ModuleHawk

United States
Hello,

I'm having a difficult time identifying this Cooper's or Sharp-shinned hawk.

I think it's a Cooper's, but let me know what you think.

Spotted in Ann Arbor, MI area today (1/9/2021).

Thanks!

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Yes Cooper’s Hawk.

Your bird is in immature/juvenile plumage and shows the features below that tell you it is a Cooper’s not Sharp-shinned ...

• - note the yellow eye in juve Sharpie the eye is orange
  • - note the breast streaking - in juvenile/imm Sharpie, the heavy streaks extend evenly down to the lower belly, in juvenile/imm Coopers, the streaks on the upper breast become more sparse going down to the belly with more spotting with very fine streaks as we can see here
  • - note the flattish head shape - more rounded in Sharpie
  • - note where the eye is positioned off-centre and forward nearer to the bill than the rear of the head, giving it a slightly more aggressive look cf to Sharpie that has the eye positioned in the centre of the head and looks ‘kinder’
  • - look at the colour of the back of the head - golden brown with white streaking. A Sharpie has a darker head with no (or very little white)
  • - note general structure - evenly proportioned shape with broad chest and ‘normally proportioned head’ - A Sharpie generally looks lighter build with a proportionally smaller head
  • - Worth noting but not visible here, the outer tail feathers on Coopers are shorter than the central tail feathers - but when viewing a perched bird from the back, these are not visible because of the way birds fold their tail feathers but this feature would be noted if you had a view of the undertail.
There are other differences but on the OP bird in this position and perched, these are the main ones.

Btw Welcome to Birdforum! 🙂

Last edited:

ModuleHawk

United States
Welcome to the Forum, Module. That looks like a Cooper's Hawk.

Happy to be here, thanks!

I have Coopers Hawks all over my area, and I would agree, Coopers Hawk. Check this out, Dave Brown explains how to identify these 2 with ease.

That video is great, being new to this I guess I'm "lucky" to get a difficult one.

Yes Cooper’s Hawk.

Your bird is in immature/juvenile plumage and shows the features below that tell you it is a Cooper’s not Sharp-shinned ...

• - note the yellow eye in juve Sharpie the eye is orange
  • - note the breast streaking - in juvenile/imm Sharpie, the heavy streaks extend evenly down to the lower belly, in juvenile/imm Coopers, the streaks on the upper breast become more sparse going down to the belly with more spotting with very fine streaks as we can see here
  • - note the flattish head shape - more rounded in Sharpie
  • - note where the eye is positioned off-centre and forward nearer to the bill than the rear of the head, giving it a slightly more aggressive look cf to Sharpie that has the eye positioned in the centre of the head and looks ‘kinder’
  • - look at the colour of the back of the head - golden brown with white streaking. A Sharpie has a darker head with no (or very little white)
  • - note general structure - evenly proportioned shape with broad chest and ‘normally proportioned head’ - A Sharpie generally looks lighter build with a proportionally smaller head
  • - Worth noting but not visible here, the outer tail feathers on Coopers are shorter than the central tail feathers - but when viewing a perched bird from the back, these are not visible because of the way birds fold their tail feathers but this feature would be noted if you had a view of the undertail.
There are other differences but on the OP bird in this position and perched, these are the main ones.

Btw Welcome to Birdforum! 🙂

Amazing bullets, thank you! I didn't know the eye color was different, that's a huge help.

Users who are viewing this thread