• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cooper's vs Sharp Shinned Hawk Waterloo, Ontario (1 Viewer)

chipster454

Hi, I'm back again with a Hawk picture. This one is from last summer. I've read a lot about how to tell the difference between the two species, but I do still struggle. I'm thinking Cooper's Hawk, but thought I'd through the picture up here to get some feedback.

Attachments

• Cooper's Hawk (Bechtel Park).JPG
    Cooper's Hawk (Bechtel Park).JPG
    5 MB · Views: 33
At present, the only clear feature I see is the crown colour - which looks darker than the upperparts - thus Cooper's hawk.
But it would be a lot easier seeing the side head-on - and if it sat there a while I'd guess you do have such a photo? Or more?
One where the tail-tip is not hidden would also be useful.

I agree with Butty. If you want to have a difficult bird identified it is better to post multiple photos - even bad ones may help.

Unfortunately I only have the one photo. It already had its head turned when I saw it, and it flew away right after I took this picture.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back