• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Cooper's? (1 Viewer)

Oldnintheway

This bird is patrolling my feeders. I initially thought Sharpie while viewing as it seemed small, it was brief, but in examining photos It looks like a Cooper's. A bit of a crest visible, eye proportion to head, rounded tail. Do you agree? Bremerton, Washington. 3/20/2022.

Attachments

• DSC_3165sm.jpg
    DSC_3165sm.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • DSC_3173sm.jpg
    DSC_3173sm.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 45

birdmeister

United States
I'm in the minority here, but I think this is a Cooper's.

The combination of rich tawny-orange on the nape, plus warm cinnamon cheeks, is something I don't remember ever seeing on Sharp-shinned. I do think the forehead steepness is exaggerated in the second image due to raised feathers, but I can't especially refute the small-billed look. Just the face in general strikes me as Coop.

Oldnintheway

I'm in the minority here, but I think this is a Cooper's.

The combination of rich tawny-orange on the nape, plus warm cinnamon cheeks, is something I don't remember ever seeing on Sharp-shinned. I do think the forehead steepness is exaggerated in the second image due to raised feathers, but I can't especially refute the small-billed look. Just the face in general strikes me as Coop.
Thanks Birdmeister. I've looked at so many of these and just when I think I'm starting to get it, not. :) Right there with distinguishing the Dowitcher sp.

Users who are viewing this thread