• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Coot takeover of Moorhen nest? (1 Viewer)

ellypyrah

I have recently become fascinated in watching the birds at our local pond. Please bear with me if this is a silly question, but is it normal for a nest that was occupied by a Moorhen at the beginning of May to now have a sitting coot?

It is a large nest built of sticks in the branches of a tree where they hang very low over the water so it is virtually at water level. When I first spotted the nest I could just see the red 'nose' of a Moorhen peeping out. On the days that followed the Moorhen was either nowhere to be seen or standing on the rim of the nest. It didn't appear to be particularly settled. Then, a week or so ago, I saw a Coot sitting on the nest and it has been there every day since. I am wondering what happened to the Moorhen's eggs, if indeed there ever were any. I haven't seen any young Moorhens. Thanks to anyone who answers my question.

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
Coots and Moorhens are forever fighting - so while I've not seen this happen myself, it doesn't surprise me at all. The Coot presumably saw what looked like a nice ready-made nest in a good position, and uses its weight to turf out the 'rightful' owner.

PS Welcome to Birdforum!

ellypyrah

Thanks very much for answering my enquiry about the coot/moorhen situation. It is rather what I thought but nice to have it confirmed. The coot was still patiently sitting last time I passed, unlike the moorhen who had earlier kept fidgeting and disappearing. Perhaps there never were any moorhen eggs.

Thanks for the welcome too!

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread