• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornell Photography Course - Worth it? (1 Viewer)

coltrv

Recently Cornell Labs has been advertising a bird photography course by Melissa Groo. I am interested in bird photography, but I have no clue where to start. I thought this course might be helpful for me to take, but it costs ~$190(USD) so I am hesitant. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this course offered by Cornell Labs? Would it be a good investment for a beginner like me?

Edit: I now see that the course hasn't even been released yet, it's only available for pre-order. So it's unlikely anyone will be able to answer my questions, lol. My mistake.

Last edited:
The price has gone up: $239.99.
If it was me, I would buy a book on the topic for about US$40 and pocket the 200 ... what with the festive season being upon us yet once more.
A book is much more instructional and trial and error is a much better teacher than being taken by the hand like a toddler and guided with pedestrian, superficial advice. What else could one expect in 10 hours?

Trial and error may be an excellent teacher, but it's an inefficient one. It often results in using cumbersome methods that you just happened to have discovered, instead of more efficient ones that you wouldn't have found on your own. As a network administrator, I see self-discovered inefficient work-arounds every day. And for an absolute beginner, being taken by the hand may be preferred.

With that said, I agree there are less expensive methods of getting started in bird photography. But let's hope someone who's taken the course will weigh in.

I feel as though I take decent photos and the way I got there was constantly taking photos and in time I feel I've gotten somewhat better. In this economy I don't feel as though spending all that money is worth spending on the photo class.

Just practice, practice and practice. ;)

There are lots of hits on the web for a search such as this "how to become a better bird photographer". That would be my starting point. There is also the option of asking questions here in birdforum.

Niels

I tend to agree that reading up on wildlife photography tips, learning one's camera well, lots and lots of practice and shooting, and going to hotspots if there are any in your area to get help or tips from fellow photographers...all are probably the best methods. Certainly the cheapest compared to a course. There are all types of bird photographers out there, and you have to judge them by their receptiveness to talk - some will not even want to say hello when they're out shooting and others will be downright friendly...when you find one that's friendly and start chatting, you can get some good beginner tips, camera settings, etc. I did just that almost 2 decades ago when I first started wildlife photography...and as I got more experienced and better, I've happily shared tips with various beginners and mildly experienced photogs looking for tips or asking about settings. Just don't bother the photographers who don't say hi back to you - they're in their world and aren't receptive to chatting. Birding hotspots are generally best because there are so many photographers around that you're bound to find some who like to chat. I'm lucky to be in South Florida, which is not only a fantastic birding hot spot, but there are dozens of spots to shoot where everyone's mixed in on open trails or boardwalks, no hides are needed, and you can talk at conversational levels without disturbing the wildlife at all...I still occasionally run into photographers who don't respond at all to a nod or hello - I don't take offense as everyone is in their own mindset when out shooting. But I've also met a lot of friends out shooting and helped out many beginners trying to figure out how to get better results.

Trial and error may be an excellent teacher, but it's an inefficient one. It often results in using cumbersome methods that you just happened to have discovered, instead of more efficient ones that you wouldn't have found on your own.
Which is why I advised buying a good book on the topic. But I guess in this day of pre-digested infotainment and attention spans of amoebas the tried and tested method of using a book to learn something has gone out of fashion.

I took this class. I am only just beginning in bird photography and learned a lot, I certainly think it has helped me improve the photos I take. I can't speak on the price though, I got the class for free.

I think Melissa Groo belongs to the best wildlife photograhers in the world but I wonder that she has never published a book so far (her photographes can be seen in several magazines). According to the course I think the course could be interesting as it presents under the premise of ethics. A very important skill in wildlife photography.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back