• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (2 Viewers)

Windmill Farm (Nature Reserve) this morning; birds included 2 Spotted Redshank, 2 Whimbrel, 2 Pied Flycatcher, 6 Spotted Flycatcher, 1 Grasshopper Warbler, 4 Northern Wheatear, 2 Whinchat, 2 Sedge Warbler, 1 Reed Warbler,4 Common Whitethroat, 1 Yellow Wagtail plus many ChiffChaff and Willow Warbler.

Attachments

• IMG_4002.JPG
    IMG_4002.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3991.JPG
    IMG_3991.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4111.JPG
    IMG_4111.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4198.JPG
    IMG_4198.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 81
I had good views of a wryneck, approx 1m W of Port Isaac on the coastal path yesterday afternoon, perched on the fence posts along that stretch with occasional forays into the field behind. Sorry for not posting earlier but I have not had any reception/internet until now. Fantastic for me as it was my first!
Cheers.
Laurence

Just back from 10 days in Cornwall.

Linnetts a plenty at Carne Beach to Gnare Head.
2 Peregrines at Portloe - walked there from Carne beach
Plenty of Gannets at Coverack on the Lizard
Big flock of Turnstones at St.Ives & Portscatho - Oyster catchers also at Portscatho
50 shag fishing in the sea in a large group at Maen Porth to Rosemullion Head (Curlew & Peregrine also spotted).
Barn Owl, Tawny Owl & Little Owl at Veryan - where we were staying

Thousands of Swallows & House Martins getting ready for trip back to warmer climates.

All in all, a fantastic holiday, although the weather was crap!

Last edited:
Just back from 10 days in Cornwall.

Linnetts a plenty at Carne Beach to Gnare Head.
2 Peregrines at Portloe - walked there from Carne beach
Plenty of Gannets at Coverack on the Lizard
Big flock of Turnstones at St.Ives & Portscatho - Oyster catchers also at Portscatho
50 shag fishing in the sea in a large group at Maen Porth to Rosemullion Head (Curlew & Peregrine also spotted).
Barn Owl, Tawny Owl & Little Owl at Veryan - where we were staying

Thousands of Swallows & House Martins getting ready for trip back to warmer climates.

All in all, a fantastic holiday, although the weather was crap!

Seems like you were unlucky with the weather - September can be quite a good month. Little owl quite a good find for Cornwall.

White-rumped Sand

I've put a few photos of the White-rumped Sand at Deveron on my blog:

http://piratebirding.blogspot.com/2011/09/white-rumped-sandpiper.html

I gather it went missing today after I found it. Sorry for not sticking on the bird until people arrived - I'd left my phone at home and couldn't put the news out until I retrieved it.

However, I popped back this eve as it's just round the corner from my house and refound it in more or less the same spot, again feeding with two Ringed Plover. It then flew a short distance with the plover, possibly to roost, to the short grass just below the Deveron Cars showroom. I left "Dantheman", who'd just driven back at break-neck speed to get it on his yearlist, watching it. I imagine it (the bird, not Dan) will still be there tomorrow morning, probably back on the saltmarsh nearby. It can be remarkably hard to pick out among the tussocks, but should be viewable from the footpath that runs along the ridge between the saltmarsh and the river. Stick to the path, but possibly best to get there before the dog walkers if you want to see it.

Last edited:
Long-billed Dowitcher at Stithians - Please could all birders visiting the reservoir please refrain from walking to the waters edge and entering the nature reserve. The bird shows very well and can be seen easily from the footpaths. Thanks in advance.

Derek Julian, (Chairman CBWPS)

Hi guys, went to Davidstow airfield this afternoon in awful misty weather to look for waders and possibly the Semipalmated Sandpiper seen yesterday.

Saw several Ringed Plovers, 1 Dunlin and this guy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edwardimber/6208271698/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edwardimber/6207757119/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edwardimber/6208268700/in/photostream/

Now I'm not very good at waders but I'm really stuck with this one. It looks like a juvenile Little Stint to me but what do you guys think?

All the best, Edward.

I am writing this post this evening as I felt a little disappointed after my visit to Davidstow airfield today. As many of you will know a Long billed Dowitcher is present and showing extremely well. Cars can get within 15 feet of the bird, and indeed all photographers seemed to be getting the shots and positions they needed. This was until a well known Videographer turned up and proceeded to get out of his car and creep 3 feet closer than he was when he was in his car. I would merely have laughed at such a pointless gesture if the bird’s behaviour had not changed, it obviously became agitated and alert at being approached. The bird did not show this behaviour when people were getting out of the vehicles at a sensible distance. I have also observed this careless and inconsiderate behaviour when the Buff breasted Sandpiper showed up, again well known birders getting out of their vehicles when so close to the bird causing it to flush.
I would not normally get involved with twitching politics as it is not really my scene or interest; however the lack of field craft annoys me! Why do you need to get out of your vehicle when you are all ready so close to the intended subject? When is it right to cause a bird to move or flush for a photo or video? Or wave your arms around out the window to get friends closer? Please educate me if I am in the wrong here, but I must add I have been taught to think of the bird’s well being before gaining photos or better views.
Kind Regards
Peter Roseveare

I am writing this post this evening as I felt a little disappointed after my visit to Davidstow airfield today. As many of you will know a Long billed Dowitcher is present and showing extremely well. Cars can get within 15 feet of the bird, and indeed all photographers seemed to be getting the shots and positions they needed. This was until a well known Videographer turned up and proceeded to get out of his car and creep 3 feet closer than he was when he was in his car. I would merely have laughed at such a pointless gesture if the bird’s behaviour had not changed, it obviously became agitated and alert at being approached. The bird did not show this behaviour when people were getting out of the vehicles at a sensible distance. I have also observed this careless and inconsiderate behaviour when the Buff breasted Sandpiper showed up, again well known birders getting out of their vehicles when so close to the bird causing it to flush.
I would not normally get involved with twitching politics as it is not really my scene or interest; however the lack of field craft annoys me! Why do you need to get out of your vehicle when you are all ready so close to the intended subject? When is it right to cause a bird to move or flush for a photo or video? Or wave your arms around out the window to get friends closer? Please educate me if I am in the wrong here, but I must add I have been taught to think of the bird’s well being before gaining photos or better views.
Kind Regards
Peter Roseveare

At the moment all seems to be well and good at Stithians for the Ibis unlike the aforementioned Dowitcher down here a couple of weeks ago prompting me to write to Derek, P Freestone, A Hugo and D Parker. Maybe their co-operation in posting reminders to stick to paths and causeways has helped the situation down here.

I'd also like to take this opportunity in thanking the aforementioned indivduals for helping out in spreading the message.

At the moment all seems to be well and good at Stithians for the Ibis unlike the aforementioned Dowitcher down here a couple of weeks ago prompting me to write to Derek, P Freestone, A Hugo and D Parker. Maybe their co-operation in posting reminders to stick to paths and causeways has helped the situation down here.

I'd also like to take this opportunity in thanking the aforementioned indivduals for helping out in spreading the message.

Thanks for your reply Simon, I did notice the messages reminding people to stick to the paths etc at Stithians but did not realise you had problems of this nature also.

I was annoyed today as the mentioned Twichers are held in high esteem and should really know better. I have been watching Davidstow frequently this Autumn and only ever see inconsiderate behaviour from birders! As I mentioned in my previous post I normally try and laugh it off, but when I feel that a birds sanctum has been jeopardised I then feel it is time to say something.

Glad the Ibis stuck around for you hope you have had some more great views.:t:

LBD Davidstow

lbd1JHM.jpg

lbd2JHM.jpg

lbd3JHM.jpg

I managed to get perfectly acceptable photos from the car on Fri.....fortunately when I was there all the birders on site stayed in their vehicles and the LBD did not appear agitated when feeding. A pity people always have to get that bit closer, regardless of the birds welfare.

Birding in Cornwall – Past, Present and Future

A joint BTO/CBWPS conference, “Birding in Cornwall – Past, Present and Future”, will be held at Bedruthan Steps Hotel, Mawgan Porth, TR8 4BU on 29th October 2011 and will have the exciting addition of an optional dinner, celebrating 80 years of CBWPS and featuring Nick Baker as the after dinner speaker.

Book now for either or both events by clicking here, where you will find booking forms and details of the conference programme. Bookings are on a first come, first served basis so act now or you may be disappointed as places are limited!

http://www.bto.org/sites/default/files/u182/booking_forms/bto.cbwps_cornwall_10.2011.pdf

Menabilly Barton & Gribben Head (Par)

1 "Ringtail" Hen Harrier
4 Peregrine
1 Merlin
2 Buzzard
10+ Siskin
1 Firecrest
1 Brambling
2 Stonechat
8 Redwing
2 Fieldfare
1 Swallow
1 Great Spotted Woodpecker
2 Jay
1 Raven
4 "Melanistic" Pheasant

Loads of other common bits and bobs like Skylark, Linnet, Goldfinch and various Tit species

Today around St Austell the following were noted;

St Austell
• Buzzard – 1 over
• Herring Gull – 35
• Lesser Black-backed Gull – 1
• Feral Pigeon – 1 sitting on a nest

Porthpean
• Merlin – 1 male in off sea, then flew east
• Gannet – 10
• Shag – 3
• Great Black-backed Gull – 6
• Black-headed Gull – 24
• Cormorant – 3
• Carrion Crow – 2
• Herring Gull – 6
• Robin – 2
• Meadow Pipit – 2 over
• Raven – 1

Par
• Jackdaw – 65

Par Beach Pool
• Black-headed Gull – 159, 1 with white darvic. Probably from Cotswold Water Parks.
• Jackdaw – 85
• Herring Gull – 72
• Common Gull – 1
• Canada Goose – 111
• Shelduck – 1
• Lesser Black-backed Gull – 1
• Greenfinch – 8
• Pied Wagtail – 6
• Moorhen – 29
• House Sparrow – 16
• Coot – 25
• Mute Swan – 5
• Teal – 3
• Mallard – 21
• Mallard hybrid – 12
• Heron – 1
• Chaffinch – 1
• Small Tortoiseshell - 1

St Andrew’s Pool
• Blue Tit – 1
• Wood Pigeon – 1
• Brown rat – 2
• Muscovy Duck – 1
• Canada Goose – 9
• Mute Swan – 3
• Shoveler – 1 male
• Black-headed Gull – 8
• Moorhen – 14
• Herring Gull – 1
• Robin – 1
• Teal – 1 male
• Mallard – 26
• Mallard hybrid – 28
• Speckled Wood – 1
• Chaffinch – 1
• Coal Tit – 1

Stithians today

• 3 Med Gull
    3 Common Gull
    3 Grey Heron
    4 Teal
    15 Wigeon
    20 Mallard
    12 Coot
    1 Little Grebe
    1 Goldeneye (fem)
    3 Tufted Duck
    12 Cormorant
    2 Grey Plover
    3 Dunlin
    1 Curlew Sandpiper
    4 Lesser Black-backed Gull
    1 Great Black-backed Gull
    266 Black-headed Gull
    179 Herring Gull
    2 Blue Tit

Colour ringed Cormorant yesterday. Details submitted, possible Irish bird

Last edited:
Hannafore today

c150 Black headed Gull
c100 Herring Gull
2 Med Gull(ad + 2nd winter)
42 Turnstone
1 Curlew
7 Rock Pipit
5 Kittiwake (all juv)
12 Gannet
2 Little Egret
c200 Great Black Backed Gull (on Looe Island)

Seaton Beach

Little Gull (2nd winter)
Med Gull (adult)
c90 Herring Gull
c75 Black headed Gull

Darrell

Stithians Cormorant

A colour ringed bird i found on Saturday up by the dam has been identified as being ringed as chick on a small island off the Irish coast at a town called Skerries, North of Dublin. This is a new scheme to monitor Irish Cormorants. The bird was ringed on the 9th July 2011.

The project leader is Tom Keaney

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back