• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corona virus threat to birding (1 Viewer)

Looking in the long term, I wonder how many places in economically less developed countries will go bust without overseas tourists. I have trips to Uganda and Tanzania planned. I suspect neither will happen. I'm trying not to think of lost money as they're independent trips but I do wonder if the places where I'd planned to stay will still be there should I go next year if they have a long spell with no tourists.

Obviously this is far more serious for the owners and workers in these places than it is for me.

I am wondering how the economically well developed countries are going to do...

In my case, the US simply doesn't have the support system in place to deal with tons of restaurants, theaters, bars, etc shuttering in the next month (or more?), not to mention all there employees who will be short a few paychecks.

I am wondering how the economically well developed countries are going to do...

In my case, the US simply doesn't have the support system in place to deal with tons of restaurants, theaters, bars, etc shuttering in the next month (or more?), not to mention all there employees who will be short a few paychecks.

Indeed. Pissed off as I am about the fact that the two trips I was looking forward to more than any I've done for years are off, I keep reminded myself that I have a job with good sick pay whereas many people's lives are going to be devastated or ended. Although this is a bad year for my asthma to get worse.

Indeed. Pissed off as I am about the fact that the two trips I was looking forward to more than any I've done for years are off, I keep reminded myself that I have a job with good sick pay whereas many people's lives are going to be devastated or ended. Although this is a bad year for my asthma to get worse.

Even in the UK, for every person like you Steve, there will be a great many more who are on zero hour or temporary contracts who will be laid off at a stroke with no provision for sick pay.

An interesting comparison was made on tv the other day of statutory sick pay offered in each European country and at £98 per week, we were comfortably bottom, even Ireland pays over £200 per week, top was c£280 per week, I forget where.

Last edited:
Even in the UK, for every person like you Steve, there will be a great many more who are on zero hour or temporary contracts who will be laid off at a stroke with no provision for sick pay.

An interesting comparison was made on tv the other day of statutory sick pay offered in each European country and at £98 per week, we were comfortably bottom, even Ireland pays over £200 per week, top was c£280 per week, I forget where.

My planned trip to Cyprus was scuppered by the lockdown at the last moment. In speaking and writing to my Cyprus hotel (who have already refunded the money without hesitation), they mentioned the plight of the bar, restaurant and other shops whose workers from many nations are on increasing lay-off; however, the Cyprus Government has devised a support package intended to see these workers through the next 3 months; non-national workers have no means of returning to their homes. Also, many people visiting Cyprus from other countries are similarly marooned. Tourism represents a significant part of the Cyprus national income.

Apparently, a widespread shutdown of hotels, restaurants and places of interest (such as the archaeological site that includes Paphos lighthouse) is being considered, according to the hotel reception. Already the 15-day trial period of lockdown has been extended to 10 April (Source: In-Cyprus), and so my negotiated delayed flights are moot...
MJB

and we don't even have statutory sick pay at all...so we are below that!

MURICA!!!

This is why I don't get that America is supposedly, the best place in the World to live or why Americans think that? Unless you have money, it's a tightrope fro working class folk, no sick pay, no free health and ony two weeks paid leave, you can keep it thanks!

Employers here have to pay sick pay, to a point, usually dependent on length of service and a National Insurance contribution for each employee which goes towards a state pension upon retiring. None of that over there and on top of it all, they get away with paying s*** wages so that many have to depend on tips to earn a living wage! How do working class people afford to retire over there?

Last edited:
UK government now warning of 'all but essential' travel to the US, oddly, it's not due to the virus but the restrictions on entry.

'The US authorities announced on 14 March that travel restrictions imposed previously on Schengen zone countries would now be extended to the UK (and Ireland). From 23:59 eastern daylight time on 16 March (03:59 GMT 17 March) it will not be possible for many British nationals to enter the USA. We therefore advise against all but essential travel to the US, due to the travel restrictions.'

Last edited:

I am very aware of that, which is why I do accept my problems pale into insignificance compared to many others.

So I'm trying - with limited success - not to feel too sorry for myself.

Our provisions for many things are poor, something I try unsuccessfully to do something about every election.

"This is why I don't get that America is supposedly, the best place in the World to live or why Americans think that? Unless you have money, it's a tightrope fro working class folk, no sick pay, no free health and ony two weeks paid leave, you can keep it thanks!"

Many of us agree with you. But leaving isn't easy, especially for us old farts.

Leaving aside the climate debate for now, one has to wonder how many airlines will go under due to this as well.

Flybe cited the pandemic as the last straw for their demise, but they were in a bad mess going into it.

I suspect airlines have a slightly better chance if they look after cargo as well as people. But the longer this goes on...

This is why I don't get that America is supposedly, the best place in the World to live or why Americans think that? Unless you have money, it's a tightrope fro working class folk, no sick pay, no free health and ony two weeks paid leave, you can keep it thanks!

Employers here have to pay sick pay, to a point, usually dependent on length of service and a National Insurance contribution for each employee which goes towards a state pension upon retiring. None of that over there and on top of it all, they get away with paying s*** wages so that many have to depend on tips to earn a living wage! How do working class people afford to retire over there?

Actually, many people can't afford to retire. Fortunately, I worked 37 years for the same company. I have a real pension which includes reduced price health insurance. Younger people working for my former company don't have that same luxury.

But the company did have sick pay, and if you were out for an extended period all you had to do was get doctor certification that you actually were sick.

Travel restrictions will not affect military movements particularly the USAF.

The only ‘combatants’ advised not to travel because of possible infection are.....IS:-O Quite how self-isolating will affect their UK benefits:-C

The military not being able to deploy due to coughs and sneezes would send out the wrong message - can you imagine Eisenhower’s Operation Overlord not being allowed to land at Normandy because the pollen count was too high:-O

Lakenheath F15 Eagles returned a few days ago from a deployment to the Emirates and RAF F35’s deployed to Nellis AFB for the annual multinational Red Flag exercise:t:

Good Birding -

Laurie:t:

Actually, many people can't afford to retire. Fortunately, I worked 37 years for the same company. I have a real pension which includes reduced price health insurance. Younger people working for my former company don't have that same luxury.

But the company did have sick pay, and if you were out for an extended period all you had to do was get doctor certification that you actually were sick.

Sadly your case is quite atypical, most younger people do not have that option.
The norm in the US today is the 'gig' economy, where the work is only for that specific job, after which one returns to the unemployment pool.
That bypasses all the labor protection laws, on the pretext that each individual is an 'independent contractor'.
Silicon Valley learned this technique from Hollywood, AirBnB and Uber brought it to mass consciousness, perhaps we will learn to do better.
Goethe said that we treat others the way we are treated. Hopefully the people will revolt rather than to do that.

Czech Republic about to enter Italy-style lockdown, no movement of people outside of work, necessary shopping and medical care. I am still not sure about whether this is the right way to go (when all big factories keep running) and whether allowing people to go alone into nature would harm anyone, but I guess, that's simply not on anybody's mind. Polish government in the meanwhile keeps saying that it's not going to do that soon, so let's see. Today there was a splendid blue sky day in Poland so I spent most of if wandering alone in the nature, properly isolated by the fact that there is so much nature to choose from here. Still early for most spring birds, but Skylarks are already in full force.

The military not being able to deploy due to coughs and sneezes would send out the wrong message - can you imagine Eisenhower’s Operation Overlord not being allowed to land at Normandy because the pollen count was too high:-O

Laurie:t:

No, but I can imagine what happens when you sneeze at 200 feet and Mach 0.95..... o:)

John

Top is Germany, and Austria.

You are welcome

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back