• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cosmic Book!!!! (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Attention all!

I have just bought this fantastic book. I was concerned as whether a bit of excreta on a rock was evidence of a Dipper a few weeks back. This made me look for a book on evidence birds leave behind.

I have found this one called Tracks & Signs of the Birds of Britain & Europe by Brown, Ferguson, Lawrence and Lees and pubklished by Helm. It is the new edition so beware of the old one with no colour pictures.

My initial glance shows the book offers identifcation of footprints, walking patterns, faeces, nests, roosts, behaviourial patterns, feathers, skulls and discarded food items. I have to say in the few looks I have had it appears to look like being the BEST bird book I have ever bought so far! I really do mean this.

It ought to be a good one as it cost £25! Just wanted to let you all know of my unearthed gem.

Attachments

• booky.jpg
    booky.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 319
I have heard that birds can be identified by the taste of their droppings, either fresh or dried. Any volunteers ?

Tony

I'll test this theory on the Chocolate cow pats and seagull dropping sold in obsentatious seaside resort souvenir shops!

I know the book you are talking about Andrew but have not found it in any shop i have visited........were did you find it !!!

the cheapest I found on the net (check www.bookbrain.co.uk for price comparisons) is 18.98 inc p&p for the revised edition from WH Smith

There is a major new and expanded edition due out soon though the publisher Helm's interpretation of the word 'soon' is loose at best <grin>

Gordon

Serious point:

Bird droppings can contain some fairly nasty bugs (Salmonella, Cryptosporidium, etc), 'specially if they're from gulls feeding on the local tip. Tasting, or even handling, is not a good idea!

Michael

Kingfisher,
Beware some shops are still selling the last edition. I got the new revised version and it is £25 bit I got a 10 discount during a special week. The book is sold by Helm so I think you need to check their website. A & C Black

The ISBN number is 0-7136-5382-5, simply go to any decent bookshop and give them this number and it should be easily gotten for you.:t:

Andrew,

The book turned up in the post this morning...........from first impressions...........brilliant, every good bird watcher should have a copy.

Glad I pointed this book out to you. It is hard to tell which would be the most useful section but he feathers and droppings have helped so far.

Kingfisher..........what do reckon to the book now you have it in your possession?

Peter and Andrew,

I first saw the book advertised in December for release in February but that was the last until Andrew posted about the book (Thanks Andrew).

I have only managed to flick through it for an hour last night, but the detail about feathers, droppings and pellets is amazing, something i used to do when i first took up birding was to examine Owl pellets to look at what they were catching, if this appeals to anyone then this is the book, it will open new horizons in bird watching and understanding. A real must.

Andrew, you need to get out more!!!!!

Peter

on second thoughts, perhaps that is the wrong expression to use on this occasion!

Andrew/Peter,

Trust me when you find one and take it home and examine the food habbits it becomes very interesting, i was very lucky as i became close to a pair of Barn Owls and over a period of time got to know the sort of mammals like voles they would take for food.

I take photos of 'shit', for want of a better word, and return home to identify them if I can. Also applies to carcasses liek a Whimbrel I saw at BGM's Goatwalk. If I see any feathers I just take them home and identify them. Nests are also another thing to photograph and identify with the book.

It's all part of the mission to be like David Bellamy one day, reeling off the name of anything that leaves a sign behind!!

(or should I say from the behind!!!)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back