• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Cost-effective digiscoping adapters. (1 Viewer)

mskb

Frustrated by the absurdly high cost of native digiscoping adapters, this thread tries to gather some of the best cost-effective alternatives for digiscoping with phones/cameras with binoculars and spotting scopes. Please add your own suggestions to the thread for various systems. It will be much appreciated by many!

For digiscoping with a phone, native/third party adapters can be very specific for a single phone, and also quite expensive (>$50 to $100 per piece per phone or scope's eyepiece).

So finding a *single* product that is both cost effective and flexible enough to work across systems was of paramount interest. Searching around Amazon and on a suggestion from Alexis Powell, we looked at the Gosky small & Gosky big type adapters, which are built for two different yet wide ranges of diameter eyepieces. We purchased the Big Type at $35, and happily use this *single* product on all our phones (Galaxy S7, iPhone 6, and I am sure anything else would work as well), mounting them on all our binoculars and a scope.

Last edited:

marcsantacurz

I have the Opticron USM-2 phone adapter. It will work with most phones (except the truly large) and most eyepieces / binoculars. It can be a little hassle to get the phone lined up, but once you do it works great.

The Swarovski rigid phone adapter is much more precise and much more expensive. No problems getting it aligned.

Marc

Mcgiiver

Homemade adapters

I made two adapters from steel flat stock 1/4" x1 1/4". Drilled some clearance holes and threaded holes. By measuring carefully before drilling, the adjustment and alignment nightmares go away. The jack screw gives you vertical adjustment,swivel camera and scope for horizontal adjustment. No idea why images are upside down.

Attachments

• 20200210_115234.jpg
    20200210_115234.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200306_105633.jpg
    20200306_105633.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 46

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
cool

I made two adapters from steel flat stock 1/4" x1 1/4". Drilled some clearance holes and threaded holes. By measuring carefully before drilling, the adjustment and alignment nightmares go away. The jack screw gives you vertical adjustment,swivel camera and scope for horizontal adjustment. No idea why images are upside down.

I like the creativity....back in the old days of digiscoping I had a setup made from PVC pipe etc....as long a sit works! And it was fun being inventive.... jim

Users who are viewing this thread