• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica - Hawks (1 Viewer)

PW23

Hello,

I visited Costa Rica in March 2019. Enthusiastically photographing every distant soaring dot, I've got some pretty ropey hawk images I'd really appreciate some help with identifying.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8765.jpg
    IMG_8765.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8362.jpg
    IMG_8362.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7405.jpg
    IMG_7405.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8176.jpg
    IMG_8176.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8431.jpg
    IMG_8431.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 70
Here's my stab at things, I guess Gray-lined Hawk is ruled out on range?

1. Gray Hawk adult
2. Short-tailed Hawk
3. Broad-winged Hawk immature
4. Broad-winged Hawk adult
5. Gray Hawk immature

Thanks Birdmeister. Good point Niels, closest major towns listed. Thanks

1) La Fortuna
2) La Fortuna
3) Uvita
4) La Fortuna
5) La Fortuna

Thanks JWN! I have plenty of Roadsides, Common Black and White too, I just found them much easier to identify.

Hello,

I visited Costa Rica in March 2019. Enthusiastically photographing every distant soaring dot, I've got some pretty ropey hawk images I'd really appreciate some help with identifying.

Thanks!

I think shots 3 and 5 well illustrate the differences in (especially) undertail pattern. If you're amenable, perhaps add to opus?

Thanks The Fern, I am amenable. If Birdmeister and Niels are happy with the IDs now I've added location info that is.

I've not used Opus before, can I add them myself?

Hi Niels

Yeah I was aware of that [could usefully add link to it to Opus if not already there]. my comment was really about broad-winged vs grey [/grey-lined]. Think point is field guides not always great at showing tail pattern which is clearly different here [with marked terminal band] / wing shape differences.

Gray lined Hawk is the expected form in half of CR. Precise location might help.

Niels

Ebird/ Vallely & Dyer suggests only eastern bit, and if latter to be believed not esp. widespread there. Think grey hawk should be safe bet in La Fortuna

Ebird has lots of observations west to about la Carara. West of there, including Fortuna (now that we know where it was from) it’s gray hawk.Still , we really should make sure the maps are correct by actual Id of the bird. The distance is probably less than six hours of flight.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back