• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica hummingbird ID please - and A N Other! (1 Viewer)

Mia B

Hi all, we're just back from a fantastic trip to Costa Rica this February, and now trying to identify all the birds we spotted. I'm stuck on a couple which I hope you can help with - see attached photos.
The blue necked hummingbird (which type is my question) was down at our rainforest lodge on the Golfo Dulce in the Osa Peninsula area.
The black/yellow bird was in the central valley area, in our hotel grounds, so not in the rainforest. His back looks like a dark pewee but the images I've found of that bird don't have the yellow breast. Another option I was looking at was a redstart but he doesn't appear to have the right head marking for that and the wings seem to have the pale outline as per the pewee.
Thanks for any advice you can give!

Attachments

• RSCN4621.JPG
    RSCN4621.JPG
    403.2 KB · Views: 34
  • RSCN3791 (2).jpg
    RSCN3791 (2).jpg
    122 KB · Views: 20
Thanks all, grateful for your advice. The lodge we stayed at has now also confirmed the Hummer is a Charming Hummingbird so all good.
Would not have ID'd the other as a Kingbird but I think the angle I've taken the shot from is deceptive and makes it look smaller than the reality so will go with it!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back