• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica Hummingbirds, February (1 Viewer)

Hummingbirds are so amazing.

I thought I knew these at the time, but now I cannot ID them! The colours change with the light etc. so do not always look the same as the field guides.

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• Hummer 1.jpg
    Hummer 1.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Hummer 2.jpg
    Hummer 2.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Hummer 3.jpg
    Hummer 3.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Hummer 4.jpg
    Hummer 4.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 36
I am no expert on hummingbirds, but was recently in Costa Rica, and some of these hummers look familiar. I suggest Green-crowned Brilliant for 1 and maybe 3. No. 2 looks like a Coppery-headed Emerald. Not sure about 4.

I am no expert on hummingbirds, but was recently in Costa Rica, and some of these hummers look familiar. I suggest Green-crowned Brilliant for 1 and maybe 3. No. 2 looks like a Coppery-headed Emerald. Not sure about 4.

Agree 1 = green-crowned brilliant, 2=coppery-headed emerald.

Suggest 3) is immature male Talamanca hummingbird. This because: we can see some evidence of the brilliant greenish/bluish throat gorget, bill shape [strong, straight], indication of white post-ocular spot, [I think without stretching too much] indication of dark purple feathers of forehead.

For 4), suggest Blue-chested hummingbird. It's a bit like this one:

without any red in the bill [they can have all-dark bills], and with muted copper tones to the rump area [in the OP photo appearing dull brownish]

Agree 1 = green-crowned brilliant, 2=coppery-headed emerald.

Suggest 3) is immature male Talamanca hummingbird. This because: we can see some evidence of the brilliant greenish/bluish throat gorget, bill shape [strong, straight], indication of white post-ocular spot, [I think without stretching too much] indication of dark purple feathers of forehead.

For 4), suggest Blue-chested hummingbird. It's a bit like this one:

without any red in the bill [they can have all-dark bills], and with muted copper tones to the rump area [in the OP photo appearing dull brownish]

Agree with this. Green-crowned B, Coppery-h E, Talamanca H and Blue-chested H

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back