• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica. Monteverde. Swallows (1 Viewer)

testoduro

Hello, again. Pics taken recently in a hotel near Monteverde, the birds sharing the roof in harmony at the same time. The fact that they look like juveniles makes it a bit difficult for me. My guidebook does not really show juveniles.

1,2 Blue-and-white swallows? I guess there is no trace of blue on account of being chicks?
3,4 Gray-breasted martin? Lack of blue for the same reason?

Or maybe they are all Blue-and White in different stages of development? I don't know.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Mystery swallow 2.jpg
    Mystery swallow 2.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Mystery swallow 3.jpg
    Mystery swallow 3.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 13
  • Mystery swallow 4.jpg
    Mystery swallow 4.jpg
    816.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Mystery swallow.jpg
    Mystery swallow.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Yes I think you're probably right. The last 2 are not blue and white for at least 2 reasons: vent/crissum area is white (not dark), and larger bill/head shape. (So=grey-breasted Martin)

I think the first 2 are blue and white. Can't be sure but vent looks clouded/dark, face mask crisply defined with clear white.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back