• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica. Monteverde (1 Viewer)

I don't know but now looking back at the photo perhaps that makes more sense than Dusky-capped... feeling a bit of a dolt trying to come to an answer I'm happy with.

I don't know but now looking back at the photo perhaps that makes more sense than Dusky-capped... feeling a bit of a dolt trying to come to an answer I'm happy with.
Pbjosh, for what's worth, the Dark Phoebe has hardly been reported in Selvatura, Monteverde. Only one or two sightings, without picture, in over 400 lists. The Dusky-Capped is regularly sighted.

This is supposedly a photo of Dark Pewee with a very dark bill - or at least it would look very dark when seen with light behind the bird https://cdn.download.ams.birds.cornell.edu/api/v1/asset/188389831/2400
Niels
Yes even in that one we can see an orange lower mandible. I looked at the images on Macaulay. There were some which were similarly smoky to the op bird (I.e. cf +/-black as in yours). There were one or 2 like the one you posted with apparently darker bills. At the end of, I think that if this is dark pewee it can only be a young bird. I looked in Vallely/Dyer and Ridgeley but no mention of variant plumage

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back