• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Countryfile talking about bird flu this eveninh (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Countryfile talking about bird flu this evening

Countryfile has been talking about Bird Flu this evening and how poultry are affected by infection from wild birds. Also there have been a number of Wildfowl dying from Bird Flu at RSPB reserve Frampton Marsh. Do you think that during this outbreak of bird flu, RSPB reserves should be closed to members and the public as a precaution of spreading the disease to other birds. I'm unsure about that myself. I'm just thinking maybe the RSPB should consider doing that, just as RSPB reserves where closed to everyone during the last foot and mouth disease outbreak.
Ian.

and WWT reserves, Wildlife Trust reserves, National Trust parklands, and etc. ?

Personally I do not feel it's necessary to close these places.
IIRC avian flu is transmitted by birds via saliva, nasal secretions, and faeces.
I think Foot and Mouth is a different prospect, although i agree it's spread in a very similar way but can also include contaminated equipment, footwear, etc. which I haven't seen cited for avian flu which to me further suggests different infection vectors.

No. Bird flu isn't any risk to people.

What is important is that people (apart from poultry farmers, who will be very careful with extreme hygeine) should stay away from poultry farms, and also that all poultry (including free range) has to be kept indoors away from wild birds, so they can't catch it.

With it being a serious animal health emergency, the laws about what is allowed to be called 'free range' are temporarily suspended, so that free range poultry farmers can still call their birds 'free range' for the duration of the emergency, even though they are required to keep them inside.

With it being a serious animal health emergency, the laws about what is allowed to be called 'free range' are temporarily suspended, so that free range poultry farmers can still call their birds 'free range' for the duration of the emergency, even though they are required to keep them inside.

... even though half of them weren't really free range anyway to begin with ... although that's another issue of course ... ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back