• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (13 Viewers)

At Ballynahown yesterday
1 Great Skua
c.60 Storm Petrels, a constant trickle west during the two hours I was there.
Good numbers of Manx Shearwaters passing west out of the bay. You had a decent count at Silver Strand yesterday too didn't you Tom?
Also a few Gannets close in and the usual Terns and Gulls.
A few rafts of Guillemots on the water.
1 Common Sandpiper on the stream beside the pier.

Also 2 Common Sandpipers on Lough Corrib at Curraun More near Oughterard. There is a nice walk along the Western Way out there

Its been a while since we added a bird to the County list, well done to Tom with the Great Skua

158 Great Skua

Good numbers of Manx Shearwaters yesterday at Silver Strand. The full view of the bay from the Strand was a continuous flight of Manx Shearwaters . It was a a lot quieter today with only a few Manx Shearwater, 2 Storm Petrels, single Fulmar and 5 Gannet including 4 juvenile's.

Video grab of Manx Shearwaters attached

Attachments

• 20080628090324(3).JPG
    20080628090324(3).JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 100
Hello All,

Great Skua....excellent addition to list.

I finally got out on the weekend for a few hours. All be it to do one of my squares. Nothing too hectic to report. Had about 40 Curlew in one spot and great views of a pair of Shelduck with 10 chicks, all looking healthy and plump!

Also found a great walk from Rosshill to the old Quay. I think a good spot to view birds in the winter and possibly a fantastic place for passerines in the spring.

Very few passerines on my count. Very dissapointed not to even get a Robin!

County list update

Should have checked the previous sightings 158 spotted Flycatcher and 159 Storm Petrel page 13 25th May therefore
160 Great Skua

Last edited:
Aonghus saw a Puffin on Sunday at Spiddal Pier. Is that a new addition to the list too Tom?

Noticed that Sunday was a lot quieter too in the bay. I went out to Loughanbeg near Inverin. Only saw a few Gannets and Manx Shears and not even a single Storm Petrel. I wasn't there very long though.

Tom,
Re your post on Nikon P5100 thread:

Will do - as soon as this weather lets me get out. Apart from the rain, I would need to anchor the scope to stop it blowing over.

Brendan

I had four Common Sandpiper plus 1 juvenile at Lough Inch tonight. I suspected all Summer there was more than 1 pair breeding but tonight was the first time I had four visible at the same time. Pair of Mute and 5 cygnet all doing well - no casualties this year which is unusual. Also some little grebe which seem well down in numbers compared to other summers.

Good Morning,

Just in case anyone was wondering about the planned outing this weekend.....it's off!

Everyone seems to be busy so we will push it forward a few weeks into August. All suggestions welcome for dates and venues-not the bank holiday :(

All forum contributors are welcome and those voyeurs are welcome too... we know who you are ;)

Email me if interested or just post it.

Out and about today between the showers 20-30 Manx Shearwaters, 2 Gannet, Black Guillemot anda few Whimbrel calling all at Silver Strand this morning. Juv Black-headed Gulls appearing at Nimmo's this morning.

John you must have a sixth sense to know about those voyeurs, how about putting that new found sense and find a few rarities.;)

That walk from Rosshill to the old Quay could be good during the winter.

Difficult this time of year to pick a location for a planned outing. I am usually around most Sundays.
Maybe a few locations could be taken in where we could map out a few different circuits and list the target birds, there's a new job for you John.
Lough Inch as mention by Brendan and Ballynahown by Tom C and then try and connect with the Crossbills at Cloosh Woods.
I have been talking to Tim Griffin and we are looking into organising a pelagic trip of the Aran Islands sometime in August, will keep ye posted.
Tom

Down at Silver Strand/Rusheen yesterday with JC,
Few Gannets c.60 Redshank, 10 Greenshank and a few Curlew. Also 1 summer plumaged Bar-tailed Godwit. Pretty quiet really.

I went out to Tawin this morning. Usual stuff, assorted Terns and a few Curlew.
Also saw 9 Seals hauled out on a gravel spit about 1/4 mile from the end of the road on the island. Its a good spot to see them.

Has anyone written up the county year list so far? Would be keen to have a look. Any predictions as for a year total? Anyone for 200 species???

AOD welcome to the forum.

Updated County list is attached below.

If I was a betting man you where the one I would have put the few euro on for the Barn Owl. You might have a few more to add after reviewing the list.

County List
162 Barn Owl

Attachments

• Bird list Galway 2008a.doc
    35.5 KB · Views: 84
I was reviewing a video clip of Great Crested Grebes today and I noticed that the adult was preening and plucked a downy feather from its flank and fed it to its chick is this normal and do other species do the same.

Tom
clip attached

Attachments

• crested grebe 060708.wmv
    726.1 KB · Views: 91
I was scanning towards Ballyvaughan from Silver Strand last evening when I saw a large "blow" (not sure of the correct term) of a whale about half way across. It could have been a dolphin or porpoise but seemed far too big. Has anybody seen anything similar so close in?

Tom,
Lough Inch is hardly worth the walk in for all that there is to see there. Waterproof hill walking boots or wellies are essential. Had a flushed red grouse there this morning.

Tom C and I went to loch Inch on Saturady for a half hour. Lovely area of bogland. We didn't see much -Little Grebe (prop breeder) and a good view of drumming snipe.

The place may harbour more than we think. Agree with need for good boots or wellies. Good rain coat also required!

Have never seen or heard of birds feeding feathers to young Tom. Have experience with herbivores eating meat and geophagy- animals eating soil.
I would not rule it out thiugh. People to quick to say animals/birds don't "do" ceratin things. Remember that the animals don't read the ethology books. :t:

Hello everyone.
I think 200 in a year is certainly possible especially after the very good first half of the year that you have had. I think if a couple of people spent a bit of time out on Inishmore and Inishboffin during September/October 200 would certainly be on. Are there any spots on mainland Galway thats good for seawatching? A few nice yank waders at Rahashane would help as well!

Derek

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back