• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (8 Viewers)

Re Jays - I've seen a couple since I've been here (nearly three weeks) - one in the woods around Merlin Park Hospital, and one somewhere on the way back from Lough Kip to Galway city (but I can't remember exactly where - I think it was on that small road that leads right to (and from) Lough Kip). My impression (and I'm happy to be corrected by birders who've been here longer than 3 weeks) is that they are there in suitable habitat but not particularly abundant. They like oak trees - are there many oaks in Galway?

Hi everyone,
I've just seen on Irish Birding that the Pacific Diver is back in Clare (Ballyvaughan bay, west of Finvarra Point). I know most of you will have seen it last year but if anyone is going down there from Galway and has a space in the car, I'd be very grateful to come along (and pay for petrol).
Cheers
Colin

Some pics of the two Goosanders from 6th January.

Dermot

Attachments

• Goosander 1.jpg
    Goosander 1.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Goosander 2.jpg
    Goosander 2.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Goosander 3.jpg
    Goosander 3.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 57
111 Smew, 2 redheads, Loughrea, 29th Jan (J.N.Murphy, B.Finnegan).
112 Buzzard, Streamstown, Clifden, (J.Brittain).
113 Pheasant (?)
114 Golden Plover (?)
115 Whimbrel, 2, Barnaderg Bay.
116 Mediterranean Gull, 2 adults, Mannin Bay.
117 Long-tailed Tit (?)
118 Chough

Dermot

I can't believe no-one's added Long-tailed Tit before now, but I couldn't see it on the list either.
How unusual is it to get Whimbrel in the middle of winter here?

Hi Colin

I'm sure plenty of people have seen Long-tailed Tits this year but its just not been added to the list.
Whimbrel are rare during the winter here in Galway. There's been a single bird wintering in Barnaderg Bay in the same area the Little Blue Heron. Its returned for three winters at least. I was surprised to find a second bird with it during the week. I checked to make sure they were just of the nominate race, you never know.
A mother and calf Common Dolphin stranded less than a mile away on Tuesday morning. The calf didn't make it unfortunately. The stranding site was horrendous with thick mud, the kind of stuff the Royal Marine Commandos would train recruits in.

Dermot

Attachments

• 1891.jpg
    1891.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 54
Year list 119 Black-throated Diver, Traught Beach today.

Also, the Forster's Tern on the beach at Doorus Pier, alongside 6 Sani Terns and 2 adult Med Gulls. Thank goodness for places to go car-birding on days like this!

Troakie

American Herring Gull put in an appearance this morning at the Docks and Nimmo's Pier after a long absence. This return by the AHG coincided with Birdwatch Galway's monthly outing on the pier which had a good turn out and everyone got to see the bird.

120 American Herring Gull 5 Feb 2011 Galway Docks

Attachments

• DSCN0560 050211.jpg
    DSCN0560 050211.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC2767 050211.jpg
    DSC2767 050211.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN0576 050211.jpg
    DSCN0576 050211.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Hi Tom

Did you see any seabird activity off Claddagh yesterday? I was hoping the strong winds of the previous couple of days may have blown in a few kittis and auks at least, but nothing evident off Aughinish/Doorus, though may be they tend to end up on the Galway side of the bay.

Troakie

Hi Troakie

Very little activity this side of the bay even after the storm. Nice to see the Forster's Tern true to form and heads for Doorus when its a little windy.

121 White-fronted Goose, 55, Belclare Turlough.
122 Green-winged Teal, male, Belclare Turlough.

Dermot

Attachments

• GWT1.jpg
    GWT1.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 79
  • GWT2.jpg
    GWT2.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 83
  • GWT3.jpg
    GWT3.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 57
124Long-eared Owl. Two pairs near Moycullen displaying and calling last night and a single bird flying past the car on the way home! Night of the Long-eared Owls!!

Hi all.
Was in Galway briefly on Friday for work related purposes and made my first visit to Nimmo's and Claddadgh. Alas, dipped the AHG and the forster's but was more than happy with the two ring-billed gulls and great northern divers, best views I've ever had of the latter species. Also had 1 1st-w Med Gull and a wierd looking, very large and seemingly slightly oiled 1st-w gull. Almost certainly a herring but have attached a pic.

all the best,
Jonathan

Attachments

• 100_1057.jpg
    100_1057.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_1079.jpg
    100_1079.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 100_1073.jpg
    100_1073.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 79
Looks like a Herring alright Jonathan. I saw another oiled bird there yesterday.

I see someone was out on Inishmore Bird Atlasing. All squares out there now in the red. Where have all the Chough disappeared to though? One recorded in one of the four 10km squares.

Don't think Fulmar has been added yet to the yearlist. Birds back at the colony at Rinvyle Head. They only seem to be missing from the breeding colonys for three months max. Ravens starting to get a move on now at the moment also.

125 Fulmar

126 Glaucous Gull
127 Iceland Gull

Finally some white-wings in Galway. 3rd winter Glaucous and 3rd winter Iceland Gull at Rossaveel today. Also a 1st winter as of yet unidentified gull species, possible Glaucous/Herring, extreme argentatus, Kumlien's/Thayer's, take your pick.

Dermot

Attachments

• 92.jpg
    92.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 52.jpg
    52.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 66.jpg
    66.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 76
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back