• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (29 Viewers)

I think it will be hard to beat Eamonn's 164 last year but listing, though frustrating, does get you out into different kinds of habitat instead of the usual patch. I didn't get the glaucous or yellowlegged gull - they will be hard to reproduce - also grey phal - never seen one anywhere never mind in county louth...

has anybody ever tried http://www.birdfood.ie/?

Barn Owl

On the way home from a party last night Olivia and I had a close encounter with a Barn Owl, as it flew over the car, 1km south of Castletown just over the border in County Meath.

Cruisetown strand today-four 1st winter iceland gulls & 2 velvet scoter offshore
Cruisetown fields-2 bewick swans & 1 lapland bunting ( finder paul kelly)

Attachments

• KICX4984a.JPG
    KICX4984a.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 128
Cruisetown strand today-four 1st winter iceland gulls & 2 velvet scoter offshore

Great shot Enda. Well done lads on quite a few good birds in such a small area. Hopefully today and monday-wednesday will be as productive!

Just outside the box indeed! I think I will invoke the granny rule as Olivia has relatives near Castletown.

Had to go to newry yesterday so stopped at Foye woods to try to get shots of the siskins au naturel - there is a flock of 200 or so zipping around the woods. When they land on a tree you can hear the patter of broken acorns falling on the ground below. Later went on to oxford island for the bewicks up there. When i got there the swans were all pushed together nervously craning but i got a glimpse of one bewicks amongst them, then bang bang bang, the whole flock picked up and were off over the hill - didnt know shooting was permitted in this area...just then Enda rings to let me know there were bewicks at cruisetown "in case i dipped" - it was nearly 4 by the time i relocated the swans, who were very nervous - stalking them in the twilight still managed attached shot showing all three species...

Attachments

• siskin foye female.jpg
    siskin foye female.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 118
  • bewicks oxford.jpg
    bewicks oxford.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 127
There has been the odd Blackcap in the garden over the last week or two, so put out an apple and sure enough there is one feeding on it. Notice that the Blue Tits really like the apple as well.

Attachments

• tn_Blackcap in garden .JPG
    tn_Blackcap in garden .JPG
    182 KB · Views: 92
  • tn_DSCN5407.JPG
    tn_DSCN5407.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 86
Bunting hunting

No luck with the Lapland Bunting or Bewick Swans today. The best at cruisetown was a first winter Iceland Gull and some Woopers and Greylags.

110 Greylag Goose

Attachments

• ice1.jpg
    ice1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 100
  • ice2.jpg
    ice2.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 97
  • ice3.jpg
    ice3.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 93
  • swans.jpg
    swans.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 104
Dumping at Hermitage

I was out today and found this fellow dumping a load of topsoil at Hermitage. They were clearing the roadsides and ditches nearby. Are they Council? Is it legal?

At Cruisetown 1 first winter Iceland Gull and Merlin the best.
KCP had 4 Goldeneye and 4 Tufties 1 Whooper Swan No Pochard Gadwall or Ring necked Duck. I presume its moved to Mell Quarry?

Attachments

• dumper2.jpg
    dumper2.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 101
  • dump1.jpg
    dump1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 112
Its illegal dumping and the council should be informed - ask to talk to litter control in enforcement - at a guess the intent is to dump it into the pond - the guy may have been hired by the council to clear the road and just be taking a shortcut. If the material is dumped into the SAC/Spa the NPWS needs to know.

Nocturnal birds!

Hi all

I've noted some unusual behaviour recently from birds in the Dundalk urban area, which someone may have some ideas on.
1. It is common for birds to sign throughout the short summer nights. However I do not recall this activity occurring in winter. Over the past two weeks or so there has been birds signing from about 12 midnight - I'm currently listening to a blackbird in full song! On Sunday morning I went to bed at c.2.30am and at that stage there was a full "dawn" chorus with at least 6 different individual birds signing.
2. I have noted a pied wagtail in Clanbrassil Street (Dundalk's main street)several nights on the footpaths and flying around. The area is well lit, but again I have not noticed this nocturnal activity previously.
Any ideas?
Perhaps we should also have Louth lists for night hours only!!

Derek

Last edited:
Baltray

I went out to Baltray today. I had no luck with the Short eared Owl. At the estuary opposite the pub, behind the houses in the corner beside the salt water pond I had a Jack Snipe in the high tide roost with about 40 Snipe. I think its the first time I have ever seen a Jack Snipe on the ground and not flushed it. He was getting bullied by a snipe and retreated to some long grass. On the way home I took the estuary road. Some really close views of the birds at high tide. Its a pity there are not more off road areas to make viewing safer.

111 Jack Snipe

Derek-I am not sure about birdies singing at night. I hope you put them on your list!

Attachments

• knot.jpg
    knot.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 104
  • gbbg.jpg
    gbbg.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 98
  • wigeon.jpg
    wigeon.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 98
  • waterfowlboyne.jpg
    waterfowlboyne.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 102
Nice record! it might hang around...

I think there is scope for a hide in the area along the estuary there - especially out on the breakwater opposite beaulieu...

Around here blackbirds and robins battle out a minor dawn chorus every dawn and dusk. Flushed a snipe from the stream by the garden yesterday - nice garden tick.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back