• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Couple of IDs needed - Düsseldorf, Germany (1 Viewer)

David_

Germany
Hi,

I took a couple of photos today and I‘m not sure if my IDs are correct. All pictures taken in Düsseldorf, Germany. Can anyone confirm these IDs?

First Bird I think is a female European Stonechat:
P1060051.jpegP1060056.jpegP1060067.jpegP1060084.jpeg

Second bird I think is a Marsh Warbler (found directly at the bank of the Rhine). It fooled me for a couple of minutes me by giving a perfect imitation of a Chiffchaff until it finally left the bushes and sat in clear view.
P1050774.jpegP1050782.jpegP1050806.jpegP1050814.jpeg

Last edited:
First one is definitely a Stonechat, second one looks alright too. Its habitat and your description of its behaviour certainly fit Marsh Warbler.

Why not Reed Warbler for the second bird?

cheers alan
I‘m not 100% sure it is a Marsh and not a Reed Warbler.
What make me think this is a Marsh Warbler is:
  • Habitat would be a perfect match for Marsh (mostly nettles and meadowsweet) and more atypical for Reed.
  • The bill of a Marsh is supposedly shorter than of a Reed Warbler. This bird’s bill seems shorter than the bill of the few Reed Warblers I have seen
  • As far as I know Reed Warblers imitate other birds a lot less frequently than Marsh and this bird only imitated other birds songs and calls while I was observing/listening (around 10 minutes)
Overall my ID is based purely on circumstantial evidence. Since this would be my first Marsh Warbler (started birding just at the end of last autumn) I‘m still not 100% sure and if there are any hints pointing to Reed I‘m totally open to reconsider the ID.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back