• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crazy world of Leica (1 Viewer)

Aaaah , but what about the satisfaction and pleasure of using and fondling a nice Camera or Binocular :D .
True, but although Leica lenses are lovely and superb, the camera bodies have never appealed in that way.
Personal haptics and all that...

The Leica ultravid+ 7x42 is perhaps the best feeling binocular I've ever held, for shape & balance, eyecups fit, the armour melds to my fingers, they're so easy in use. I'll admit to some fondling :giggle:

Agreed with "a captured moment in time". Actual phones are great for this.

But a photo can be more than this, or rather different from this. Or a photo can be taken on difficult light moments. Also, maybe a bride would want some professional photos (maybe). And so on…
Totally agree.... a phone will never match a proper camera, due to sensor size etc... mine are just personal thoughts for me, and my new found enjoyment, over what had become frustration, or discontentment..... or probably more that i'm a crap photographer πŸ˜…

The Leica lenses shown in post #5 are indeed very fine lenses.

But Leica have always been behind the game with fast lenses.

Early on Leica users chose the Meyer f/1.5 kino plasmats as Leica had nothing to offer.

Later Leica borrowed to put it nicely the TTH 50mm f/1,5. When they were found out they put Under licence from TTH on the front of the lens and paid TTH royalties.

Leica Canada made the 90mm f/1.0 lens.

B.

One of the most expensive bino ever sold: an early example of Carl Zeiss deck-mounted 8x60, being only one of two known.
Price: about 70000 eur.
Here's an interesting report http://holgermerlitz.de/eller_12x62.pdf in which the maker combined the eyepieces from the Zeiss 8x60 deck-mounted with two
62 mm Leica Apo Televid objectives. One could use Google translate. References to prices in DM suggest it's over 20 years old and today there are somewhat simpler and cheaper alternatives: The Ultimate Wide Angle Binocular... - Binoculars - Cloudy Nights

John

Feeling sleepy? I just read about a Swedish mattress (Hastens Grande Vivius) that costs $539,000...or maybe you already have one, still in the box.
I did not believe such a mattress existed but you were right, or almost right: the actual price is $539990 (the difference of $990 can buy you a very good mattress):
HΓ€stens Grand Vividus | The Luxury Bed Collection
and there is even a waiting list. The claim of the manufacturer is that after a night sleep on their mattress you won't notice CA, RB or glare in any of your binos.

Last edited:
My information came from a very funny article on the mattress industry that appeared in the June 27 issue of the New Yorker. Looks like they got the price wrong and misspelled the model name. So much for fact checking!

Last edited:
We’ve seen unboxing series become a bit of a trend and the emergence of stars who do these. Maybe our friend is waiting for the right time.

And maybe, just maybe, that YAWN can be taken with your constant display of your extremely expensive binoculars, watches, lenses, bikes and whatever else you feel the need to show to folk on this forum.
Paticual "Italian Road Racing" Bikes by Pinarello...! With German Lightweight Autobahn Wheels :)

It seems the final selling price was 14,4mil eur:
This $15 million Leica is the most expensive camera ever sold
I don't know the price of the most expenive bino ever sold (but a friend should know, so I'll post his answer when I get it) but collecting cameras surely is much more lucrative.....
On the picture of the camera in question Oskar Barnack engraved on the viewfinder seems to be incorrect , I see Oscar , should it not be Oskar :( .

Model 1 still available - Leica Frankfurt.

Attachments

• 82394B20-C07C-43B9-8398-D68852F8EFF2.jpeg
    82394B20-C07C-43B9-8398-D68852F8EFF2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
Here's an interesting report http://holgermerlitz.de/eller_12x62.pdf in which the maker combined the eyepieces from the Zeiss 8x60 deck-mounted with two
62 mm Leica Apo Televid objectives. One could use Google translate. References to prices in DM suggest it's over 20 years old and today there are somewhat simpler and cheaper alternatives: The Ultimate Wide Angle Binocular... - Binoculars - Cloudy Nights

John
Super interesting construction, a 12x62 glass with a 6.5* FoV and 23 mm eye relief.
The emphasis on viewing comfort and immersive seeing seems a more promising approach to high end binocular designs than Nikon's massive WXs.
Sadly the product dates from 2010 and despite real interest, no one stepped up to actually build them.
Maybe APM will take a flier someday....

I do wonder whether very generous eye relief translates to greater viewing comfort.
The old Zeiss Jena 7x40 (Checkpoint Charlie) military binoculars were designed for use with a gas mask and consequently also had lots of eye relief.
They were a delight to use, splendidly sharp and so easy to look through, even though they only had about 60% transmission at best.

Etudiant, post 38,
We have investigated the Zeiss Jena 7x40 you describe in your post. Your estimation of th light transmission was rather pessimistic, we found around 76% as a maximum. Docter has made the same binocular after the collapse of East Germany and all data we found for the Zeiss 7x40 were exactly the same for the Docter 7x40. You can find all these data on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor.
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back