• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Criticising RSPB reserve Fairburn Ings. (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

I visited Fairburn Ings reserve in Yorkshire last Saturday with my local RSPB Group and it was an excellent days birdwatching including excellent views of the nesting Spoonbills. But I have got a few critical points to make about RSPB reserve Fairburn Ings, as Fairburn Ings does allow dogs, but so many dog owners had let them loose off there leads and also dogs aren’t allowed in the visitor centre at Fairburn Ings except guide dogs and one owner had brought his dog into the seating area where people could bring in light refreshments from the shop and this certainly wasn't a guide dog. The staff or volunteers did not ask the dog owner to take the dog outside of the visitor centre, which I thought was disappointing.
Ian.

It seems that 'Dogs Rule OK' is prevalent everywhere these days. Nowhere is sacred and the large organisations such as the RSPB and the National Trust allow dog owners to run their animals wherever they wish. The impact on ground-nesting birds, in particular, must be catastrophic. No beach or estuary is free from marauding and out-of control canines. I read somewhere recently that 24% of British households now own a dog but that means that 76% of households do not. Unfortunately those that do own dogs don't stop at one animal - it is now common to see packs of dogs running riot and causing havoc amongst tired birds. The 76% of the population who do not own dogs need to be more vociferous in their condemnation of thoughtless dog owner actions.:-C

As far as I am aware the majority of paths at Fairburn Ings are public footpaths so a ban on dogs is not possible on the reserve.

Should have mentioned it. A dog in the visitor centre is a no no. I see dogs that are soaking wet. How do they get wet when it's all fenced off around the ponds where the owner has been walking?

Did you say something at the centre, to the dog owner or staff in the centre?
I didn’t want to get into an argument with the dog owner. But I have emailed Fairburn Ings about this. I didn’t want to get into a difficult situation when I was with my RSPB Group, as I have a number of friends in that Group and it might have upset some of them.
Ian.

You never know how somebody will react when you politely tell them that they are doing something wrong. Especially if you are on your own.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back