• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cromford Canal, Derbyshire (1 Viewer)

Bird Club visit

As Field Meeting Organiser for Birmingham Branch of West Midland Bird Club I have scheduled a visit to Cromford Canal on morning of Sunday 9th Feb. Advice would be welcome as to: where to park 48 seat coach, and best place to search for Hawfinch. Group size will be 30 - 40 arriving about 09.00.

Also will be on site am tomorrow (Sunday 1st) to see layout - will any one else be there to help - maybe? Look forward to any info with thanks.

As Field Meeting Organiser for Birmingham Branch of West Midland Bird Club I have scheduled a visit to Cromford Canal on morning of Sunday 9th Feb. Advice would be welcome as to: where to park 48 seat coach, and best place to search for Hawfinch. Group size will be 30 - 40 arriving about 09.00.

Also will be on site am tomorrow (Sunday 1st) to see layout - will any one else be there to help - maybe? Look forward to any info with thanks.

Maybe down there myself today Ray, probably between 09:30-10:30. If I bump into you I will advise on parking. If not I will post later. Best area to search, stand on the meadows just down stream of the bridge and scan the trees on the horizon across the river.

Hawfinches were difficult yesterday, but a group of us had a few decent views eventually. A group of 5 was the biggest flock, and the birds were usually high on the sky line, though 1 did perch up quite close on a couple of occasions. If they are not right at the tops of the trees they can be very hard to locate, and were best picked up in flight. So basically follow any large looking finch you see in flight, at least the big wing bars make that quite easy.

Thanks Clive. Arrived 11.30 yesterday apparently after you had left. Only Greenfinches at top of trees at entrance to W Castle Hotel. Now more familiar with layout of area - appreciate suggestion where to stand to search for birds. Saw could park alongside road opposite Mill complex or in Rugby Club entrance area - would be there approx 09.00 to 12.00, would this be frowned on do you think! Hope the birds are more co-operative next Sunday!

Thanks Clive. Arrived 11.30 yesterday apparently after you had left. Only Greenfinches at top of trees at entrance to W Castle Hotel. Now more familiar with layout of area - appreciate suggestion where to stand to search for birds. Saw could park alongside road opposite Mill complex or in Rugby Club entrance area - would be there approx 09.00 to 12.00, would this be frowned on do you think! Hope the birds are more co-operative next Sunday!

You should be fine in the Rugby Club Ray, though the car park gets very busy if the weather is fine, I don't see a problem if you are arriving 09:00 though. I will probably get down there wed/thurs so will update on the birds activities, unfortunately i will be at work at the weekend, but i am sure other birders will be present if conditions are reasonable.
Out of interest are you heading anywhere else later in the day?

Just a thought, I can't remember if there is a height barrier near the cattle grid Clive, which would prevent a coach entering?
If not then I'm sure it's easily the best place to park.

Just a thought, I can't remember if there is a height barrier near the cattle grid Clive, which would prevent a coach entering?
If not then I'm sure it's easily the best place to park.

There used to be Dan, but I did notice it wasn't there on Sunday. I guess they need to let coaches through for the Rugby at weekends.

Had half an hour yesterday, only saw 2 Hawfinch so hope they perform better Sunday. Carsington still has 1 GN Diver, also a Scaup (which is usually between stones island and the dam wall). There are a large amount of Snipe currently viewed from the Wildlife centre, on the bank to the left.
Other Carsi regulars are Tree Sparrow and Willow Tit, which you should catch up with on the feeders at the Wildlife centre.
Hope the weather is kind!

Had half an hour yesterday, only saw 2 Hawfinch so hope they perform better Sunday. Carsington still has 1 GN Diver, also a Scaup (which is usually between stones island and the dam wall). There are a large amount of Snipe currently viewed from the Wildlife centre, on the bank to the left.
Other Carsi regulars are Tree Sparrow and Willow Tit, which you should catch up with on the feeders at the Wildlife centre.
Hope the weather is kind!
We wish for more also but even just one will please many! Thanks for info on Carsington - I saw Willow Tits at Stanley hide on recce on Sunday and GND off Stone's Island - did not know of Scaup or Tree Sparrows so thanks for that info. Definitely keeping fingers crossed for kind weather Sunday!! As ever thanks for help. Cheers for now Ray

Last edited:
Nice to meet a few of you guys from the west midlands club at cromford today managed 5 hawfinches ,but distant Hope you saw the diver a carrsington it was near the sailing club island veiwable from stones island also a close but sleepy scaup at millfields with the tuftys

Nice to meet a few of you guys from the west midlands club at cromford today managed 5 hawfinches ,but distant Hope you saw the diver a carrsington it was near the sailing club island veiwable from stones island also a close but sleepy scaup at millfields with the tuftys

Thanks Peter, hopefully the West midlands folk saw the Hawfinches too.

Thanks Peter, hopefully the West midlands folk saw the Hawfinches too.
Hi, Yes all the members of West Midland Bird Club were delighted to see Hawfinches! A group of 4 were seen on the topmost trees viewed from the entrance area for the Hotel, and one bird must have stayed for nearly 20 minutes. Also a group of 5 birds were seen from the field flying over the Church. We are all well pleased!
At Carsington we had Willow Tits, female Sparrowhawk, Redwings, Tree Sparrows and great views of Great Northern Diver. Scaup was too far for us! Excellent day and thanks again for all help Ray

Hi, Yes all the members of West Midland Bird Club were delighted to see Hawfinches! A group of 4 were seen on the topmost trees viewed from the entrance area for the Hotel, and one bird must have stayed for nearly 20 minutes. Also a group of 5 birds were seen from the field flying over the Church. We are all well pleased!
At Carsington we had Willow Tits, female Sparrowhawk, Redwings, Tree Sparrows and great views of Great Northern Diver. Scaup was too far for us! Excellent day and thanks again for all help Ray

Nice one Ray.:t:

After seeing a couple of pics of Water Voles taken on CCanal recently, we had a walk a few days ago and didn't come across any, has anyone else seen them well recently? Not seen one for ages and fancy a go again, but any hints at the best spot would be good! Sad I'm saying this, I remember when you never failed to see them on here bumbling around and showing well.

Steph'

After seeing a couple of pics of Water Voles taken on CCanal recently, we had a walk a few days ago and didn't come across any, has anyone else seen them well recently? Not seen one for ages and fancy a go again, but any hints at the best spot would be good! Sad I'm saying this, I remember when you never failed to see them on here bumbling around and showing well.

Steph'

I have not been on the canal for ages Steph, but High Peak Junction is usually the best spot. I know Andy Butler has photographed them there recently. Like you say, I remember the days when they were so plentiful.

Success! After a couple of fruitless goes we finally saw a Water Vole at High Peak Junction. Light was crap and the distance great but we were able to watch him munching away for over 20minutes before he scuttled away! Also plenty of Narcissus pseudonarcissus (English Daffodils/Lent Lily) in flower in the Derwentside Reserve area and Chiffchaffs singing! A kettle of 5 Buzzards were soaring and a Dipper showed well too.

As we left a couple were rather surreally serenading the area on ukuleles!

ATB

Attachments

• WV3 small.jpg
    WV3 small.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 59
Nice vole Steph. Not been up for the canal for a long while. The last two times we went we got good views towards the derwent hotel end, its the area where the canal widens and has all the reeds and then narrows under a bridge.

Success! After a couple of fruitless goes we finally saw a Water Vole at High Peak Junction. Light was crap and the distance great but we were able to watch him munching away for over 20minutes before he scuttled away! Also plenty of Narcissus pseudonarcissus (English Daffodils/Lent Lily) in flower in the Derwentside Reserve area and Chiffchaffs singing! A kettle of 5 Buzzards were soaring and a Dipper showed well too.

As we left a couple were rather surreally serenading the area on ukuleles!

ATB

Glad you got the Vole Steph, who would have thought they would have been so hard 30 years ago. I must get down there again soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back