• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crossbill today Boat of Garten Wood, Speyside (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Please excuse the poor quality of photos, managed by holding my cracked mobile phone over the scope, but I played N20 Scottish Crossbill excitement-type calls this morning at the cross-tracks at Boat of Garten Woods, and photographed 3 birds. This male seems to have a large bill but there are Scotsbill and Common in these woods. Not sure but I think its a Scotsbill, and the female and streaky juvenile also surely must be Scotsbills?

But ...............................??

Attachments

• Crossbill 1a.jpg
    Crossbill 1a.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Crossbill 1e.jpg
    Crossbill 1e.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Crossbill 1f.jpg
    Crossbill 1f.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Crossbill 1c.jpg
    Crossbill 1c.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Crossbill 2a.jpg
    Crossbill 2a.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Crossbill 2b .jpg
    Crossbill 2b .jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 97
One of those threads where I learn, but I identified the Crossbills with such a large, square, parrot-like bills as Scottish Crossbills when I saw them in Scotland many years ago. Among other places in the Boat of Garten Woods.
Thank you for bringing back memories!

I am more confused than ever. Yesterday I had a pair responding to Scotsbill excitement calls and calling as well, and I am fairly convinced it was perfect. A sort of soft Choo-choo-choo (and no it wasn’t Thomas the Tank engine).
These 2 birds had rectangular-ish shaped bills but nothing exceptional.

These birds today however, have confused me as I am told the bigger confusion is separating Scottish from Common but I wouldn’t have any of these down as Common. Furthermore Boat of Garten woods is said to be excellent for 'Scotsbill' but Common is here too, but I’ve never seen Parrot reported there (e-bird etc). These could be either Scotsbill or Parrot for me, especially the female and juvenile.

When I get home later this week I’ll attach better quality photos. The lower mandible in these surely rules out Common I would have thought.

I’m still intrigued by them and wish Lindsay Cargill (Loxiafan) was still around to comment. He is such a font of knowledge regards Crossbills but understandably probably bores of birder queries like these.

Last edited:
Not of great help but many years ago I would have gladly gone home with that as a Scottish Crossbill on the basis of structure alone. Not bull necked enough for Parrots imo

Not of great help but many years ago I would have gladly gone home with that as a Scottish Crossbill on the basis of structure alone. Not bull necked enough for Parrots imo
Same opinion as me, thanks Pyrtle.

Going back out tonight and then one last bash tomorrow.

Slightly better (? questionable) zoomed in photos of the birds in question: -
1 and 2 Same bird (female)
3 juvenile
4 male
5 female and juvenile together
6 male again

The male has a large upper mandible and flat crown giving it something of a 'Hornbill' look. But the lower mandible is smaller from the front, but then the same bird looks to have a large lower mandible in the last photo. I think this is a Scotsbill as it and female responded to my Scotsbill excitement calls.

The female and juvenile baffle me - having great big upper and bulging lower mandibles. The crown on the female is raised giving it a different look interestingly from the male. These are either large Scotsbills or Parrots IMO (humbly so).

Attachments

• Crosbill Large2.jpg
    Crosbill Large2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Crossbill Large4.jpg
    Crossbill Large4.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Crossbill LARGE5.jpg
    Crossbill LARGE5.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Crossbill LARGE.jpg
    Crossbill LARGE.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Crossbills Large3.jpg
    Crossbills Large3.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Crossbill large last.jpg
    Crossbill large last.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Postures, silhouettes and physical features are so variable and I recall listening to a conversation between two of Norfolk's finest birders whilst watching and listening to Parrots at Holt Fountry Park a few years back. The second set also shows a couple of good candidates, though one appears very bull necked, the bill is not quite massive and " Romanesquely" starting from the top of the forehead.
Cheers.

Postures, silhouettes and physical features are so variable and I recall listening to a conversation between two of Norfolk's finest birders whilst watching and listening to Parrots at Holt Fountry Park a few years back. The second set also shows a couple of good candidates, though one appears very bull necked, the bill is not quite massive and " Romanesquely" starting from the top of the forehead.
Cheers.
Absolutely bang on, they can look so variable in stills, especially when you zoom in.
Appreciate your thoughts mate

I agree Bis.
Thx mate.
Plus a very obliging juvenile Common.

Attachments

• Big2.jpg
    Big2.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 15
  • Big3.jpg
    Big3.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Big4.jpg
    Big4.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 15
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back