• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crossley ID Guide: Britain & Ireland (1 Viewer)

I think the decision to use the five-letter codes in this book was completely bonkers. |It's very irritating and could only have saved a tiny bit of space.

Sean

Just curious: does anyone know what "AMCO" (familiar to me as the alpha code for American Coot in the North American BBL and AOU systems) refers to in the Great Black-backed Gull account¿

The 5 letter codes as mentioned pretty offputting too!!
I think the decision to use the five-letter codes in this book was completely bonkers.
I haven't actually seen the book, but just from the extensive Amazon preview I agree that the pervasive use of the five-letter codes is absolutely bizarre. These codes (thankfully!) are not common currency amongst ordinary birders, and certainly not amongst the beginners that the book is aimed at – eg, I've rarely seen them used on BirdForum or in any popular birding literature. It gives the impression that the authors are aliens from another planet, and suggests that birdwatching is a completely arcane activity.

Just curious: does anyone know what "AMCO" (familiar to me as the alpha code for American Coot in the North American BBL and AOU systems) refers to in the Great Black-backed Gull account¿
I assume that it does indeed refer to American Coot!
eg, Great Black-backed Gull Predation on American Coot.

But 'AMCO' is rather unlikely prey in Britain & Ireland, and anyway meaningless to most of the intended readership.

FUBAR! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back