• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crow Call for ID - Kolkata, India, Nov 2021 (1 Viewer)

Are you talking about differentiating the calls of two races of jungle ( = large-billed) crow? Do you have any reason to think that the calls of the two races differ?
Do you have any reason to think that the race involved is other than the normal resident race for Kolkata? I don't imagine large-billed crow is migratory, in which case it will be the resident race.
Are racial differences particularly interesting for large-billed crow? For the great majority of bird species it is not often productive to try and determine the race on any basis other than geography.

Last edited:
Are you talking about differentiating the calls of two races of jungle ( = large-billed) crow? Do you have any reason to think that the calls of the two races differ?
Do you have any reason to think that the race involved is other than the normal resident race for Kolkata? I don't imagine large-billed crow is migratory, in which case it will be the resident race.
Are racial differences particularly interesting for large-billed crow? For the great majority of bird species it is not often productive to try and determine the race on any basis other than geography.
C. macrorhynchos (Large-billed), C. levaillantii (Eastern Jungle) and C. culminatus (Indian Jungle) - all have different vocalizations and distributions are also non-overlapping. Some taxonomic authorities consider them as full species while others treat them as subspecies. Xeno-cano treats them as full species and so does some field guide books in India. As Indian birders, we usually consider them as separate species and log with ssp name in eBird. Eastern Jungle Crow occurs in neighboring Bangladesh and suspected to extend its range to West Bengal in winter. This bird sounds very different from the culminatus I am used to hear regularly in Kolkata. As a matter of fact, I found it calling from the roof of my apartment and I have never ever seen a culminatus in my area. This is an extremely busy urban area and not really a suitable place for a Jungle Crow.

I don't know where your home is. Jungle Crows are quite rare to find within Kolkata city (metropolitan area). Usually seen in the suburbs.
Since the city where I live is not as large as Kolkata and also the fact that I haven't been there yet means I can't comment much on it. But seeing eBird records for both cities, there are a couple of records of Jungle from core from the city.

Since the city where I live is not as large as Kolkata and also the fact that I haven't been there yet means I can't comment much on it. But seeing eBird records for both cities, there are a couple of records of Jungle from core from the city.
Yes, those will be from the Maidan area, or from the southern and eastern fringes of the city where we have large patches of green. But I live in North Kolkata which is densely populated.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back