• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crow without nest (1 Viewer)

Coley46

Ireland
Hi there, just wondering if anyone could give me some info please. For many years now I've fed the crows in my garden. In the last year I've noticed a crow that appears to have fallen wing, who comes into the garden every day. Not too sure how it came about to be injured, but it appears to be able to fly. It's a real loner of a bird, and seems frightened of the other crows. I guessed that it might have a nest close to house, but realised one night that it didn't have a nest at all, and was sleeping on a wire outside house. I worry as it's December and the weather has turned colder, that it will survive outside. Any advice would be most welcomed.

Most birds, including crows, only use nests for laying eggs and raising young. Outside of the breeding season crows will just spend the night sat in a tree, it's perfectly normal behaviour.

Most birds, including crows, only use nests for laying eggs and raising young. Outside of the breeding season crows will just spend the night sat in a tree, it's perfectly normal behaviour.
Thanks for replying, that's such a relief. As you might guess I'm abit of a newbie , so glad that he's not going to freeze outside. Always thought that they would be snuggled down in their nest keeping warm on cold winter nights.😁

Hi Coley and a warm welcome from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Yes, as Mono says, corvids don't usually use a nest outside of the breeding season. Some small birds do, such as Blue Tits, when many of them may all crowd in together inside a nest box.

Looks like I got alot more to learn, thanks for all the information, so interesting 👍. Also, as I'd mentioned in my original post, that the crow preferes to be by itself, is this a normal behaviour too? As all the other crows appear to be part of a large group. This one is out on it's own, would it be due to its injury to wing, that it might be frightened of other birds? It spends all of the daytime hours perched outside on an apple tree looking in the kitchen window at me. I leave food especially for it half way up the tree,as so to make sure it gets something. Think this bird has somewhat claimed me as it's own😃🤣

Sounds like yours could be a Carrion Crow which tend to be on their own or a pair. Other species such as Jackdaws and Rooks gather in large flocks, mainly when foraging for food.

There's an old saying.... if you see one Rook it's a Crow.;)

The way I remember it is that Rooks breed in Rookeries and Crows build a single nest.

I have a feeling that as the OP suggests some birds will bully or pick on an individual which is injured and may well be the case here.

No idea if it is a Hooded Crow, Rook or Jackdaw - don't know which would be more likely in a garden feeding scenario in Ireland.

Looks like I got alot more to learn, thanks for all the information, so interesting 👍. Also, as I'd mentioned in my original post, that the crow preferes to be by itself, is this a normal behaviour too? As all the other crows appear to be part of a large group. This one is out on it's own, would it be due to its injury to wing, that it might be frightened of other birds? It spends all of the daytime hours perched outside on an apple tree looking in the kitchen window at me. I leave food especially for it half way up the tree,as so to make sure it gets something. Think this bird has somewhat claimed me as it's own😃🤣
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back