• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CT Hawk ID/Behavior (1 Viewer)

SaiLeigh

United States
View attachment 20210820_183731000_iOS.MOV
Recently moved to a suburb-like area from a more country area in CT. I'm familiar with hawks, but for the last month here there's been a hawk calling all day with few breaks. For some background: It started a month ago and we assumed it was a territorial situation based on the time of the year and the fact that there were actually two hawks, moving ceaselessly around the same 4-5 blocks. After about a week the 2nd hawk disappeared and the 1st remained. The few glimpses I got made me think it was a red tailed, but the call throws me off (it's very high, shrill, grouped in threes usually). For the last three weeks this hawk has been calling since first daylight for literally the entire day. Almost never takes a break for more than 20 minutes, and it flies around the neighborhood to the same roosts over and over.

I grew up with hawks around (especially once we got chickens) but I've never seen this kind of behavior. Any ideas what's going on? It's incessant, and that's not an exaggeration.

Attached video is an example of the call. Happens in two different pitches but it is 100% one hawk.

Video doesn't work for me either, but the behavior reminds me of a juvenile begging its parents for food. The cries often continue for weeks after the parents stop feeding them.

With my volume all the way up I can slightly hear a call that reminds me of a Red-shouldered Hawk.

Hi there SaiLeigh and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Somehow it played for me, sounds very good for a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk. I had an experience with a constantly calling juv. earlier this summer, too.

Somehow it played for me, sounds very good for a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk. I had an experience with a constantly calling juv. earlier this summer, too.
With my volume all the way up I can slightly hear a call that reminds me of a Red-shouldered Hawk.

Hi there SaiLeigh and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)
Thank you! Happy to be here :) Finally indulging fully in my interests!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back