• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Cuban Blackbird or Shiny Cowbird (1 Viewer)

Torcol

Hello,
I have these 3 birds seen in Cuba that I cant properly identify
What doyou think ?

Attachments

• P1140083 COPIE.jpg
    P1140083 COPIE.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 43
  • P1150127 TER.jpg
    P1150127 TER.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 24
  • P1130650 BIS.jpg
    P1130650 BIS.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 38

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
I'm just going to have a guess on generic principles, to see if I'm getting it right for myself (so don't take this as a reliable answer!):
1 & 2 - thick bill, short tail: my guess the cowbird
3 - thinner bill, longer tail: my guess the blackbird, or a grackle if any on Cuba

david kelly

Drive-by Birder
Scotland
I'm just going to have a guess on generic principles, to see if I'm getting it right for myself (so don't take this as a reliable answer!):
1 & 2 - thick bill, short tail: my guess the cowbird
3 - thinner bill, longer tail: my guess the blackbird, or a grackle if any on Cuba

Greater Antillean Grackle is very common on Cuba.

David

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I have not been to Cuba but have experience with the other contenders. I will agree that 1 and 2 seems to be Shiny Cowbird. I think the bill is too short for Grackle in the third image, however, due to the angle of seeing it mostly from below I am not sure about the shape of the bill and therefore not sure - but this could be a contender for Cuban Blackbird. Any other (even unsharp) images of the bird in image three?

Niels

Torcol

I have not been to Cuba but have experience with the other contenders. I will agree that 1 and 2 seems to be Shiny Cowbird. I think the bill is too short for Grackle in the third image, however, due to the angle of seeing it mostly from below I am not sure about the shape of the bill and therefore not sure - but this could be a contender for Cuban Blackbird. Any other (even unsharp) images of the bird in image three?

Niels

Hello thanks everybody for their help
Unfortunately I dont have more shots of bird 3

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread