• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cyprus in June (1 Viewer)

Nick French

Planning a family holiday in Cyprus in June and hoping to do a bit of birding at the same time. Any suggestions as to the best area to stay which will keep the family happy but okay for birding. The Birdwatching Guide to Cyprus suggests that the west is best, either Paphos or Polis.

I have a few target species: Cyprus Pied Wheatear, Cyprus Warbler, Cretzschmars Bunting, Calandra Lark

Cheers
Nick

Hi Nick I would say the area around Paphos is the best, there are loads of places around there Akotiri, phassori reed beds, Kennsington cliffs, Aspro dam, all within a short distance, I would get in touch with Martin Hellicar Birdlif Cyprus, for an update, theyt can also let you know if there are any field meets, the polis area has the S. T Eagle which we saw from the road. regards mac

Attachments

• Cyprus crested lark.jpg
    Cyprus crested lark.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Cyprus chuker.jpg
    Cyprus chuker.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Cyprus griffons.jpg
    Cyprus griffons.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Hi Nick I would say the area around Paphos is the best, there are loads of places around there Akotiri, phassori reed beds, Kennsington cliffs, Aspro dam, all within a short distance, I would get in touch with Martin Hellicar Birdlif Cyprus, for an update, theyt can also let you know if there are any field meets, the polis area has the S. T Eagle which we saw from the road. regards mac

Thanks for that EG - good advice. :t:

Planning a family holiday in Cyprus in June and hoping to do a bit of birding at the same time. Any suggestions as to the best area to stay which will keep the family happy but okay for birding. The Birdwatching Guide to Cyprus suggests that the west is best, either Paphos or Polis.

I have a few target species: Cyprus Pied Wheatear, Cyprus Warbler, Cretzschmars Bunting, Calandra Lark

Cheers
Nick

Click here for a brief report I posted in about an incidental birding trip in June 2007.
I hope that it may be of some help.
Regards
Mick

Paphos /Limmasol/Polis area is probably best for Cyprus Warbler and Cyprus Pied Wheatear. I think Calandra Lark and Cretzschmars's Bunting may be a bit tougher in June. Any suitable area of scrub, bushes, trees, open ground for the first two.

The hill at the ancient historical site at Amatheus Hill is good for birds and I had 4 Cretzschmars in April there and an Ortolan Bunting, but not sure if they are present all summer.

Cape Greco is another excellent birding area near aya Napa / Protaras (the other end of Greek Cyprus), with Spectacled Warblers, and Cyprus Pied Wheatear and Cyprus Warbler present.

Paphos area in general certainly offers a greater variety of sites within a half day drive, some just 20 minutes drive.

Last edited:
I too am in Cyprus this June on a "non-birding" holiday, staying in an elevated location on the outskirts of Paphos (Konia) and appreciate all the advice so far.

I'm still a learner and I like to do a bit of homework before visitng anywhere new, but the lists I've seen so far for the island are extensive. If anyone would be so kind to provide a list of common species that I may see while travelling around it would help in my preparation so I know what key ID features to look for. (I will have my Collins with me)

What would be my chances of picking up a Bee-eater or Roller in June?

Going to be there myself in June too, from 10th - 15th June. Only really fussed about seeing Cyprus Wheatear and Warbler although Eastern Bonelli's and Ruppell's Warblers would be good too if possible. Will be staying just outside of Paphos.

Going to be there myself in June too, from 10th - 15th June. Only really fussed about seeing Cyprus Wheatear and Warbler although Eastern Bonelli's and Ruppell's Warblers would be good too if possible. Will be staying just outside of Paphos.

Too late for Bonelli's and Ruppells in June. Best place for Cyprus Warbler near Paphos probably Asprokremnos Dam and pools,I had a pair from eastern end of dam-wall looking north,in bushes at side of dam. Cyprus wheatears are everywhere.

Pete.

Let me know how you get on - I will be there after you, staying near Polis just up the road. :t:

Too late for Bonelli's and Ruppells in June. Best place for Cyprus Warbler near Paphos probably Asprokremnos Dam and pools,I had a pair from eastern end of dam-wall looking north,in bushes at side of dam. Cyprus wheatears are everywhere.

Pete.

I'm staying in Kouklia, right near the dam, so will check it out.

Where to Watch Birds in Asia states "The best site for Black Francolin is alongside the Dhiarizos River downstream from Kouklia". Is this still the case? It seems that my hotel has filled half of this valley with a golf course.

Nick I'll post on here how I get on, though this isn't intended to be a serious birding trip (too late in the year).

Last edited:
[QUOTE

Where to Watch Birds in Asia states "The best site for Black Francolin is alongside the Dhiarizos River downstream from Kouklia". Is this still the case? It seems that my hotel has filled half of this valley with a golf course.
.[/QUOTE]

Don't know about in June,but in March and April you can't fail to hear Francolins almost anywhere thats got a bit of grass. Not always easy to see though.

Pete.

[QUOTE

Don't know about in June,but in March and April you can't fail to hear Francolins almost anywhere thats got a bit of grass. Not always easy to see though.

Pete.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Any good sites for Scops Owl around Paphos?

Try the hotel at..........

Vasilias.nikoklis.com

This is by Asprokremnos Dam. Go the website for directions. I note they seem to have resident Scops owls in their grounds, but quite how you get in when you are not a resident I dont know. Maybe it has a restaurant too that you can go to. Loads of birders stay there.

Black Francolin may be harder & less vocal in June, stop at any agricultural area and listen, especially early morning or evening. You sort of stumble across them rather than planning to get them. I had them around Mandria fields, Agia Varvara (west of the village). As others have said Cyprus Warbler should not be too difficult, I had them at Paphos headland, the extreme corner of the coppice at Aspro Dam and as Pete Wragg says across the dam in the bushy scrub at the right side, also several other places. Cyprus Wheatear again quite easy. Just try a variety of habitat. I expect in June that in the heat of the day things will go quiet so birding will be better early morning or evening.

In June you may see Rollers and Red Footed Falcons on wires by Loukaides Farm on the Agia Varvara road(north of Agia Varvara village) just before the entrance to Anarita Park. My report gives detail. I have not been in June so cannot vouch for that but worth a try.

Try the hotel at..........

Vasilias.nikoklis.com

This is by Asprokremnos Dam. Go the website for directions. I note they seem to have resident Scops owls in their grounds, but quite how you get in when you are not a resident I dont know. Maybe it has a restaurant too that you can go to. Loads of birders stay there.

Black Francolin may be harder & less vocal in June, stop at any agricultural area and listen, especially early morning or evening. You sort of stumble across them rather than planning to get them. I had them around Mandria fields, Agia Varvara (west of the village). As others have said Cyprus Warbler should not be too difficult, I had them at Paphos headland, the extreme corner of the coppice at Aspro Dam and as Pete Wragg says across the dam in the bushy scrub at the right side, also several other places. Cyprus Wheatear again quite easy. Just try a variety of habitat. I expect in June that in the heat of the day things will go quiet so birding will be better early morning or evening.

In June you may see Rollers and Red Footed Falcons on wires by Loukaides Farm on the Agia Varvara road(north of Agia Varvara village) just before the entrance to Anarita Park. My report gives detail. I have not been in June so cannot vouch for that but worth a try.

Thanks. Where did you see the information about Scops Owl at Vasilios Nikos? They mention birding on their website in some depth, but not the fact that they have Scops Owl which I would have thought they would if they are keen to attract birders. I'm sure I could go there for a meal and get access to the grounds to look for Scops Owls. But just wondering how good my chances are.

Thanks. Where did you see the information about Scops Owl at Vasilios Nikos? They mention birding on their website in some depth, but not the fact that they have Scops Owl which I would have thought they would if they are keen to attract birders. I'm sure I could go there for a meal and get access to the grounds to look for Scops Owls. But just wondering how good my chances are.

I have just noted their existence on several bird reports Arbu, nothing else. They are probably more common than we realise.

Also check this....

www.vasilias.nikoklis.com/en/cyprus-bird-watching.html

Last edited:
I have just noted their existence on several bird reports Arbu, nothing else. They are probably more common than we realise.

Also check this....

www.vasilias.nikoklis.com/en/cyprus-bird-watching.html

Thanks, I missed that page. My impression is that Scops Owls are quite common, but hard to see. If they claim to have a resident one at this inn I think it's worth me calling in there at dusk, asking to be allowed in to look for the owl, and then eating there. It's not far from my hotel.

Ive never connected at Mavrokolymbos Dam (the traditional spot) though many others have. I only saw this link to the Vasilias Nikoklas Inn after I had returned in April frustratingly. I hope you connect, they are apparently in trees there. It does have a restaurant so you could go for a meal. Only thing I am not sure is whether they are there this year, but dont see any reason why not.

Good luck!

Wish I could help you guys with Scops Owl in the Paphos district. I know from experience that they're easy to hear at night in Nicosia, but here too they're tough to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back