• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cyprus in June (1 Viewer)

I note a report on Birdlifecyprus.org that there was a calling bird at Paphos Zoo as well in may, but of course not sure its wise to wander around such a location in the dark!

Though i still think the Vasilias Nikoklas bird is a safer bet.

Just got back. Got good views of the Scops Owl last night thanks to the good people at Vasilias Nikolis. Also Roller, Little Owl and Great-spotted Cuckoo from the road between Anarita and Nata. On Mount Tripolis a brief view of a female Mouflon and a flyby view of what I think was a male Red-footed Falcon. A Black Francolin calling and then flying across the road near Mamonia. Spanish Sparrows above Avakas Gorge. Plenty of Cyprus Warblers, and I'm pretty sure I saw a Sardinian Warbler too at Kourion.

Here's a full list. Not very long, but quite happy with it considering that this was not really a birding trip:

Chukar
Black Francolin
Common Kestrel
Red-footed Falcon
Peregrine Falcon
Yellow-legged Gull
Rock Pigeon
Common Wood-pigeon
Eurasian Collared-dove
Great Spotted Cuckoo
Common Scops-owl
Little Owl
Common Swift
European Roller
Eurasian Jay
Black-billed Magpie
Eurasian Jackdaw
Hooded Crow
Coal Tit
Great Tit
Barn Swallow
Red-rumped Swallow
Northern House-martin
Crested Lark
Zitting Cisticola
Eastern Olivaceous Warbler
Sardinian Warbler
Cyprus Warbler
Winter Wren
Cyprus Wheatear
House Sparrow
Spanish Sparrow
Eurasian Chaffinch
European Serin
European Greenfinch
European Goldfinch
Eurasian Linnet

Just got back. Got good views of the Scops Owl last night thanks to the good people at Vasilias Nikolis. Also Roller, Little Owl and Great-spotted Cuckoo from the road between Anarita and Nata. On Mount Tripolis a brief view of a female Mouflon and a flyby view of what I think was a male Red-footed Falcon. A Black Francolin calling and then flying across the road near Mamonia. Spanish Sparrows above Avakas Gorge. Plenty of Cyprus Warblers, and I'm pretty sure I saw a Sardinian Warbler too at Kourion.

Here's a full list. Not very long, but quite happy with it considering that this was not really a birding trip:

Chukar
Black Francolin
Common Kestrel
Red-footed Falcon
Peregrine Falcon
Yellow-legged Gull
Rock Pigeon
Common Wood-pigeon
Eurasian Collared-dove
Great Spotted Cuckoo
Common Scops-owl
Little Owl
Common Swift
European Roller
Eurasian Jay
Black-billed Magpie
Eurasian Jackdaw
Hooded Crow
Coal Tit
Great Tit
Barn Swallow
Red-rumped Swallow
Northern House-martin
Crested Lark
Zitting Cisticola
Eastern Olivaceous Warbler
Sardinian Warbler
Cyprus Warbler
Winter Wren
Cyprus Wheatear
House Sparrow
Spanish Sparrow
Eurasian Chaffinch
European Serin
European Greenfinch
European Goldfinch
Eurasian Linnet

Nice one Arbu. Glad you got nearly all of your targets.:t:

I had no specific birding time during my time in Cyprus, but a few trips out and a keen eye got me the list below. I'm quie impressed considering I didn't put any specific effort in:

Barn Swallow
House Martin
Swift
Sardinian Warbler*
Magpie
Hooded Crow
House Sparrow
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Jackdaw
Crested Lark*
Kestrel
Roller*
Gr Spotted Cuckoo*
Rock Dove
Greenfinch
Cyprus Wheatear*
Chaffinch
Treecreeper sp.

Have a week in late July (not really a birding trip!!) staying at Lachi village near Polis, NW corner. Will only be staying local, and won't want to have a car. So not expecting too much but will be having a good look in early mornings etc. One bird I'd really like to see is Black Francolin, need some pay back from missing it in Turkey in 1987 when I did a big trip. Does anyone know if they are regular in this particular location? I'll take my chance with Cyprus Wheater they must be common.......!

Thanks for any help
Matthew

Plenty of Cyprus Wheatear on the coast path going west from the caravan site at Aphrodite's Pool.Black Francolin are fairly common in the area.I have seen them just outside Lachi.Be sure to walk the Akamas.

Have a week in late July (not really a birding trip!!) staying at Lachi village near Polis, NW corner. Will only be staying local, and won't want to have a car. So not expecting too much but will be having a good look in early mornings etc. One bird I'd really like to see is Black Francolin, need some pay back from missing it in Turkey in 1987 when I did a big trip. Does anyone know if they are regular in this particular location? I'll take my chance with Cyprus Wheater they must be common.......!

Thanks for any help
Matthew

Hi Matthew
Just returned from Latchi and there were Black Francolins in the area - but hard to see although plenty calling. I saw them near the Poils Reedbeds and also at Argaka. They were all seen in uncut wheat fields and they were harvesting while we were there so it may be more difficult to find when you get there. Cyprus Wheatears very easy, mostly in the more scrubby areas. Cyprus Warblers v difficult and I am not sure if they are around Latchi any more - I had to go down to the south coast.

Also in the area were:
Scops Owl and Nightjar calling between Latchi and Neo Chorio
Cretzchmar's Bunting, Hoopoe and Masked Shrikes on Simyies Trail - you would need a car to go here, but you can hire for a day in Latchi
Greater Spotted Cuckoo, Rollers, Red-rumped Swallow & Eastern Olivaceous Warbler in groves and fields behind Latchi. GSC also Argaka
Pallid Swifts around St Georges Island near Baths of Aphrodite (saw from boat hired to go snorkeling)

Early morning is definitely best - after 10 the birding got v difficult.

Good luck
Nick

Last edited:
The complete list of birds seen between 20 June - 4 July were:

Cormorant - 1 near Lara 25/6/12
Black Francolin - 1 -2 heard most days near Latchi; 2 seen, 1 heard Argaka 23/6/12; 2ad + 1juv Polis Reedbed 26/6/12
Chukar - 2ad + 3y Argaka 23/6/2; 1 heard Smiyies Trail 24/6/12
Long-legged Buzzard - 1 Latchi 24/6/12; 4 Persterona 30/6/12
Kestrel - 1 Argaka 23/6/12; 2ad 3juv Latchi 24/6/12; 1 Latchi 30/6/12; 2 Latchi 1/7/12
Hobby - 1 Smiyies Trail 1/7/12
Eleanora's Falcon - 6 -7 Kensington Cliffs 3/7/12
Scops Owl - 1 - 2 heard most evenings Latchi
Yellow-legged Gull - 1 Latchi 23/6/12
Greater Spotted Cuckoo - 2 Argaka 23/6/12; 2 Latchi 1/7/12
Turtle Dove - Several Argaka 23/6/12. Smiyies Trail 24/6/12 & 1/7/12
Collard Dove - common most locations
Wood Pigeon - seen most locations
Nightjar - 1 heard most evenings Latchi
Bee-eaters - 12 flying N out to sea Pomos 2/7/12
Roller - 1 Polis Reedbed 23/6/12; 1 Latchi 24/6/12; 2 Polis Reedbed 26/6/12; 1 Latchi 30/6/12
Hoopoe - 1 Smiyies Trail 24/6/12 & 1/7/12
Swift - 20+ Paphos 23/6/12
Pallid Swift - 24 St Georges Island (nr Baths of Aphrodite) 28/6/12; 2 Smiyies Trail 1/7/12
Crested Lark - 1 Argaka 23/6/12
Cyprus Wheatear - seen at most locations
House Martin - seen most locations
Swallow - seen most locations
Red-rumped Swallow - 6 Latchi 30/6/12; 1 Kensington Cliffs 3/7/12
Great Tit - common, seen in most areas with trees
Coal Tit - 2 nr Forest Station Paphos Forest 30/6/12
Cetti's Warbler - 1 Latchi 24/6/12 & 2 30/6/12; 2 Polis Reedbed 1/7/12
Sardinian Warbler - many seen on most days of the holiday
Cyprus Warbler - 1juv/fem Souni 27/6/12; 2juv/fem Kensington Cliffs 3/7/12
Eastern Olivaceous Warbler - 2 Latchi 30/6/12; 2ad + 2 young Smiyies Trail 1/7/12
Masked Shrike - 1 ad, 4 juv Smiyies Trail 24/6/12 & 3 family groups on 1/7/12
Magpie - seen most locations
Jackdaw - 6 Latchi 24/6/12; c150 Latchi 1/7/12
Spanish Sparrow - 1 Argaka 23/6/12; 20+ Polis Reedbed 26/6/12 & 1 1/7/12
House Sparrow - seen most locations
Goldfinch - common around Latchi and Smiyies Trail
Greenfinch - common around Latchi and Smiyies Trail
Cretzchmar's Bunting - 4ad (one feeding young) Smiyies Trail 24/6/12;

Further to the above comprehensive report from Nick, I can confirm that my search for Black Francolin at Latchi was successful between 21 - 27 July. As I was only planning on staying very local to Latchi ie walking distance I was amazed how 'easy' they were to see within a km of the village. Difficult to photograph but they were readily viewable in the open at distance. The wheat/cereal fields were virtually all harvested and therefore the birds maybe more inclined to stay out in the open. I'm not sure how many individuals I saw but at least 15 bird sightings with several birds together sometimes. The best area was the road that runs inland from next to the big bridge with the small sandwich bar next to it. This is effectively opposite the marina. Taking the left hand fork after 100 m the road climbs rapidly to a plateau that overlooks the village. From here (only 5 minutes walk) good views could be had into the fields where the birds were. For the early morning birder this road can be followed inland for 30 minutes and followed around to the left at the plastic greenhouses then back left at the dumped boat and back to Latchi. This is a good hour plus walk that can be done before breakfast or just before evening dinner. There were Cyprus Pied Wheaters , Spanish Sparrows (flock of 200+) , Chukar, Red rumped swallows-30+, Fan-tailed Warbler and Eastern Olivaceous around this route. The Francolins also like the orchards.

A few other important sightings were Scops Owl in the Latchi Holiday village outside our room on one night. Slender-billed gulls (5)off the marina once, several Yellow-legged gulls, couple of Alpine swifts, Masked & Woodchat shrikes.

We cycled to the Baths of Aprodite one day and had some very approachable Cyprus Pied Wheaters at the donkey enclosure at the far end of the camp site. Rather tatty but a new bird so plenty of beer consummed at the local cafe overlooking the superb coastine. A boat trip along the coast bagged a couple of Cattle egrets but little else despite scanning the horizon for shearwaters. Chose the old traditional boat -Koula rather than the big boats and can recommend it throughly , the skipper and (wife?) put on a very nice meal too.

All up a good week and two new good birds, luckily I've seen the Cyprus Warblers in Eilat so didn't worry about these, none were seen amonst the 100's of Sardinians!

Matthew

Further to the above comprehensive report from Nick, I can confirm that my search for Black Francolin at Latchi was successful between 21 - 27 July. As I was only planning on staying very local to Latchi ie walking distance I was amazed how 'easy' they were to see within a km of the village. Difficult to photograph but they were readily viewable in the open at distance. The wheat/cereal fields were virtually all harvested and therefore the birds maybe more inclined to stay out in the open. I'm not sure how many individuals I saw but at least 15 bird sightings with several birds together sometimes. The best area was the road that runs inland from next to the big bridge with the small sandwich bar next to it. This is effectively opposite the marina. Taking the left hand fork after 100 m the road climbs rapidly to a plateau that overlooks the village. From here (only 5 minutes walk) good views could be had into the fields where the birds were. For the early morning birder this road can be followed inland for 30 minutes and followed around to the left at the plastic greenhouses then back left at the dumped boat and back to Latchi. This is a good hour plus walk that can be done before breakfast or just before evening dinner. There were Cyprus Pied Wheaters , Spanish Sparrows (flock of 200+) , Chukar, Red rumped swallows-30+, Fan-tailed Warbler and Eastern Olivaceous around this route. The Francolins also like the orchards.

A few other important sightings were Scops Owl in the Latchi Holiday village outside our room on one night. Slender-billed gulls (5)off the marina once, several Yellow-legged gulls, couple of Alpine swifts, Masked & Woodchat shrikes.

We cycled to the Baths of Aprodite one day and had some very approachable Cyprus Pied Wheaters at the donkey enclosure at the far end of the camp site. Rather tatty but a new bird so plenty of beer consummed at the local cafe overlooking the superb coastine. A boat trip along the coast bagged a couple of Cattle egrets but little else despite scanning the horizon for shearwaters. Chose the old traditional boat -Koula rather than the big boats and can recommend it throughly , the skipper and (wife?) put on a very nice meal too.

All up a good week and two new good birds, luckily I've seen the Cyprus Warblers in Eilat so didn't worry about these, none were seen amonst the 100's of Sardinians!

Matthew

Really pleased that you had a good week :t: Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back