• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cyprus - suggestions wanted (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
In preparation for my imminent relocation to Cyprus, I'm looking for suggestions to complement the following titles which I already have.

Butterflies of Cyprus - Christodoulos Makris
Amphibians and Reptiles of Cyprus - Felix Baier
Birds of Cyprus - Colin Richardson & Richard Porter
An annotated Checklist of the Birds of Cyprus - Flint and Stewart
Where to Watch Birds in Turkey, Greece and Cyprus - Hilary Welch, Mike Langman, Dan Powell
Field guide to the,Dragonflies of Britain and Europe - Douwe, Dijkstra, Lewington
Europe's Dragonflies,: A field guide to the damselflies and dragonflies - Smallshire and Swash

Looks as though you’ve got it all covered Andy. Hmm, St Petersburg - Nottingham - Cyprus, are you trying to keep one step ahead of Interpol?;)

In preparation for my imminent relocation to Cyprus, I'm looking for suggestions to complement the following titles which I already have.

Butterflies of Cyprus - Christodoulos Makris
Amphibians and Reptiles of Cyprus - Felix Baier
Birds of Cyprus - Colin Richardson & Richard Porter
An annotated Checklist of the Birds of Cyprus - Flint and Stewart
Where to Watch Birds in Turkey, Greece and Cyprus - Hilary Welch, Mike Langman, Dan Powell
Field guide to the,Dragonflies of Britain and Europe - Douwe, Dijkstra, Lewington
Europe's Dragonflies,: A field guide to the damselflies and dragonflies - Smallshire and Swash
There's a new Birds of Cyprus 3rd Edition in prep, by Peter Flint and Colin Richardson.
MJB
PS I wondered why Bird Forum had been so quiet in the last couple of weeks! Best wishes that everything goes smoothly.

Welcome to the Island Andy, you'll find it a great place to live! I would also add to your publications An Introduction To The Wildlife Of Cyprus by David Sparrow & Eddie John.

Shane

Welcome to the Island Andy, you'll find it a great place to live! I would also add to your publications An Introduction To The Wildlife Of Cyprus by David Sparrow & Eddie John.

Shane
I've been looking at that Shane, many thanks.

Edit: Done

Last edited:
If I was moving abroad Cyprus would be a definite possibility. A great location, lots of habitats and not that many birders. I much prefer it to the inexplicably more popular Lesbos as a migrant spot. The trapping/shooting would be the only drawback as far as I am concerned, and I have never had a problem with it in the west. Summer temperatures would take some getting used to.
I hope everything goes well Andy.

If I was moving abroad Cyprus would be a definite possibility. A great location, lots of habitats and not that many birders. I much prefer it to the inexplicably more popular Lesbos as a migrant spot. The trapping/shooting would be the only drawback as far as I am concerned, and I have never had a problem with it in the west. Summer temperatures would take some getting used to.
I hope everything goes well Andy.
Cheers Steve,
aside from birding where there are half a dozen World and several WP ticks for me, I'm looking forward to mothing whilst Butterflies and Dragonflies are also a draw with numerous new species of both, waiting to be added to my list.

Temp will be an issue of course, the house is fully aircon and we have a pool but there will be little or no, midday birding!

Is there a guide to Orthopterans?

Sardet et al 'Britain and Western Europe', goes no further South than France.
George Konstantinou has a website that highlights all fauna in Cyprus including Grasshoppers, etc. of Cyprus, have a look here Biodiversity of Cyprus by NGO Protection of the Natural Heritage and the Biodiversity of Cyprus

It is quite comprehensive but can be a bit of a struggle when trying to scroll through subjects with large amounts of entries!

Shane

George Konstantinou has a website that highlights all fauna in Cyprus including Grasshoppers, etc. of Cyprus, have a look here Biodiversity of Cyprus by NGO Protection of the Natural Heritage and the Biodiversity of Cyprus

It is quite comprehensive but can be a bit of a struggle when trying to scroll through subjects with large amounts of entries!

Shane
Arrived yesterday and I'm extremely impressed. It is extremely detailed in some parts considering it's broad coverage of so many genera and I'd recommend it to anyone who intends to spend time on Cyprus but, at 2.5kgs, it's very much a 'stay at home' reference volume.

Last edited:
Arrived yesterday and I'm extremely impressed. It is extremely detailed in some parts considering it's broad coverage of so many genera and I'd recommend it to anyone who intends to spend time on Cyprus but, at 2.5kgs, it's very much a 'stay at home' reference volume.
Are you currently in Cyprus? I read about a shake of 6.0 on the Richter scale ...
Niels

The thing I wonder the most is how are you gonna move to an island with all your books. Are you hiring a container ship? They are in ahort supply nowadays (I was actually shipping a container recently, I am not even kidding :))

And obviously the first thing you do ... is buy more books!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back