• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CZ 8x30 (1 Viewer)

Welcome to BF! (What is xiexie, not your name I think?) I totally understand the cool factor here. Case and all, this set is exactly like the Oberkochen (Zeiss West) 10x50 and 15x60 that our family had in the 1960s, and brings back fond memories. (If missing the real chamois lens cleaner with Zeiss logo, too bad.) It looks very well cared for, though photos 3 and 5 may show a bit of something on the bottom edge of the left objective, you could ask what it is. There are more practical choices for everyday birding (and this is the place to ask for recommendations!), but you didn't even say that's what you want them for... so it's up to you.
hi,,, oh,,, 'xiexie' is just the way to write (pinyin) what we say here in China,,, it's just much like saying 'thank you' in English language. :) Ok, I'll try to find out more about the Left Objective issue. Glad so many accept the cool factor! I just hoped for Three main things. 1. They are Authentic 2. They do have a cool factor (I would guess so, but maybe they are as common as peanut-butter,, haha, I don't really know). 3. They'll function passably well. If by luck meet all three of the conditions I'll be as happy as the average oyster! :)

Last edited:
Welcome to BF! (What is xiexie, not your name I think?) I totally understand the cool factor here. Case and all, this set is exactly like the Oberkochen (Zeiss West) 10x50 and 15x60 that our family had in the 1960s, and brings back fond memories. (If missing the real chamois lens cleaner with Zeiss logo, too bad.) It looks very well cared for, though photos 3 and 5 may show a bit of something on the bottom edge of the left objective, you could ask what it is. There are more practical choices for everyday birding (and this is the place to ask for recommendations!), but you didn't even say that's what you want them for... so it's up to you.
I absolutely researched the modern-day binoculars, but it left me at a quandary. Afford uninspiring Made in China, mass-produced semi-rubbish. Or go for the Authentic top-tier Bins,,, but then the price hit me! Lower model end Kowa (China made) and Zeiss are ,, hmm,,,, 550+usd,, and only go way up from there. And then to look @ Leica and Swarovski,,, well, I get quit doing that near immediately to save myself from a Heart Attack! (2200+ usd)

Might be worth asking the seller if these have ever been serviced, recollimated along with any appropriate paperwork. Out of interest where are they coming from? If Europe or North America they may be able to have them inspected and cleaned before shipment.
I sorta doubt I can find that information. Worth asking though, Thx

Thanks LPT. On that model I've always been a bit curious that it lacks "Jena" on the label yet that it doesn't have "Made in West Germany" on the hinge cover. Oberkochen makes sense.

Not all of the Oberkochen Zeiss were marked, “Made in West Germany”. I have some examples which are marked, “Made in Germany”. Why, I don’t know, but it may have been a political statement.

Not all of the Oberkochen Zeiss were marked, “Made in West Germany”. I have some examples which are marked, “Made in Germany”. Why, I don’t know, but it may have been a political statement.
I have the same pair as the OP and wondered about it. Good glass!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back