• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

D500 issue (1 Viewer)

Oldnintheway

Hi folks, My D7200 has all but bitten the dust. So a month ago I pulled the trigger on a brand new D500 from B&H. Right from the start I had great difficulty sliding open the memory card door, but figured it was just new & stiff. While out in the field one day I was struggling to open it and a small piece of rubber appeared in my hand. Very fortunate it didn't drop in the weeds below! I searched the camera for where this could have come from and discovered a tiny port/slot 1/8" x 1/2" or so just behind the card door. Adjacent to the N mark for the NFC antenna. It was a struggle getting the rubber piece back in the slot and I'm still not convinced that it's properly seated.
I got home and searched the manual, and all internet sources that I could find and there in NO mention of this feature! I contacted Nikon and they have instructed me to send it in for repair, but still have not told me what it is! I keep asking and they just keep telling me to send it in. I have contacted B&H and am awaiting a reply. I've decided that the camera needs to be replaced or repaired. I'll take the least difficult option after I hear from B&H. But I would still like to know what the hell this is?! Pic attached. Anyone?

Attachments

• DSC_0687.jpg
    DSC_0687.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 19

Oldnintheway

Yes! Exactly my experience!! Thank you paddyluke, but I still don't know what the hell it is! :)
I have contacted B&H photo where I bought it. Fortunately it's right at the 30 day return window. They have issued a return label. But I will be without camera for 2 weeks or so. Nikon wanted me to send it in for repair and me pay the shipping! I have always bought 2nd hand and never had a problem. I splurged for a new one this time and.....

Users who are viewing this thread