• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Dame Godman's (Metallic) Pigeon (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

... earlier a k a "Calalp"
As a pure (somewhat quick) side-track, of Martin's ("Taphrospilus") Hummingbird subspecies thread Coeligena iris eva and Eriocnemis luciani catharina, I happened to take a look at:

godmanae as in:
• the debated and extinct Lord Howe (Island) Metallic Pigeon subspecies Columba vitiensis godmanae MATHEWS 1915 (here), as "Raperia godmanæ" a k a Lord Howe Pigeon (here and here)
Named in honour of Mrs. Godman, wife of Dr. F. D. Godman, in whose possession is the original painting and to whom my best thanks are due for permission to reproduce that painting and prepare this description.
... which I assume lead us to Alice Mary Godman (1868–1944), née Chaplin, British charity worker, ... etc. etc. (here), second wife of Frederick DuCane Godman (1834–1919), whom she´d married in 1891, from 1918 a k a Dame (DBE) Alice Godman.

Born 24 June 1868 (here), daughter of Major Percy Chaplin (confirmed in Mr Godman's Obituary in British Birds, here, last sentence) ... and she died 3 October 1944.

For what it´s worth.

However, as always; don´t hesitate to prove me wrong!

Björn
--

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread