• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dameselfly ID, Essex UK (1 Viewer)

djw0208

Hi, Could I get an ID please. I don't think it is Common Blue as the black bands are too large. Variable Damselfly looked similar, but I understand it is quite rare, so am not convinced. Many Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC07417.JPG
    DSC07417.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
It could be a blue form female Azure (e.g. see attached pic)
Variable Damselfly usually has a bar between the post-ocular spots - which I can't see in your pic - and Azure usually doesn't (in the UK).
Variable can be quite numerous where they occur - Where was the pic taken ?

Attachments

• RP_005316.jpg
    RP_005316.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 12
It's a blue-form female of one of the Coenagrion species. Doing females to species can be a bit tricky. It's very blue, which is often a good sign for Variable rather than Azure. But Variable is only at a relatively few sites in Essex. Best I can suggest is have a look at the distribution map on the BDS page for variable, see it your site is one of the ones with records of Variable. If so, I think that's likely to be what it is. If not, Azure is so massively more common that an unusually-blue Azure will be more likely than a Variable.

Thanks to you all for your responses. I actually saw it at Fobbing, quite close to Corringham. Looking at the map at the link above (also see screenshot), it does look like there is a patch of Variable close by at Wat Tyler, but am also happy to accept the consensus that it is Azure,

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-27 220328.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-27 220328.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back