• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Damselfly ID please (Cambs. UK) (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All
For the first time I have seen Damselflies around my patch, albeit on the late side but everything seems to be this year.
I came across two, that I had not seen before, at least in a colour I had not seen before - Dark green, very dark. At first I thought they were black, the glaring sunshine made it difficult but as I got close to them they were definitely dark green, the pictures are pretty good for colour rendition.
I can't really find anything like them in the books and I am guessing they are newly hatched and that when they first come out they are this colour and then develop the blue after a short time? But I don't really know enough about the subject.
Could someone enlighten me and also ID the pictures for me?
Many Thanks, Gareth

Attachments

• 1192.jpg
    1192.jpg
    576.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 1193.jpg
    1193.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 1194.jpg
    1194.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 43
Hi Andy,
Thanks for your help. I have seen your posts over the years and you are normally very certain about these things. Do you have some doubt? I am struggling to find a picture showing the markings on the thorax and a pale tail end.
Yours, Gareth

Good enough for me, I'd expect to see a hint of blue at least in the tail?

Paul did you get my PM?

A

The pink (well that's the colour it looks on my phone! ) will become blue as it matures. No sign of PM but I'll check the settings when I get home this evening!

The pink (well that's the colour it looks on my phone! ) will become blue as it matures. No sign of PM but I'll check the settings when I get home this evening!

I was just asking for your opinion on the Damsell in Belarus that I posted.

Cheers, A

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back