• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Damselfly ID West Midlands UK. (1 Viewer)

Solihull Villan

Hi

Could someone help id these 2 damselflies seen yesterday in West Mids. I know ones either a female Banded or Beautiful Demoiselle but not sure which (only the single shot I'm afraid).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_3444.JPG
    IMG_3444.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3445.JPG
    IMG_3445.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 20

Swindon Addick

Supporter
Wales
The second one's a recently-emerged female Common Blue. The green colour develops over the first few days.

The first one looks quite dark, which would suggest Beautiful, but the white spots look very close to the end of the wings, which suggests Banded. The angle of the image is causing one or other of those to deceive me, but I'm not sure which.

Solihull Villan

The second one's a recently-emerged female Common Blue. The green colour develops over the first few days.

The first one looks quite dark, which would suggest Beautiful, but the white spots look very close to the end of the wings, which suggests Banded. The angle of the image is causing one or other of those to deceive me, but I'm not sure which.

pdwinter

Paul Winter
+1 for Beautiful Demoiselle (the camera angle is not great for determining where the wingspots are!) and +1 for immature female Common Blue. If you see a female damselfly in the UK with a spine under segment 8 it will be either a Common Blue or a Blue-tailed (either Common or Scarce).

Attachments

• spine.JPG
    spine.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 8
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread