• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dancing Starlings cause power cuts (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
An engineer investigating mystery power outages in a Scottish village has discovered they were caused by a spectacular murmuration of starlings.
Villagers in Airth, near Falkirk, were bewildered by the brief early-evening interruptions to their power supply.
Initially power firm SP Energy Networks was also unable to explain the problem.
But their engineer Neil McDonald finally solved the mystery when he spotted thousands of birds "dancing" on overhead power cables.
The starlings were causing the lines to bounce and the power to trip between them, causing power cuts of just a few minutes in about 50 local homes.
Mr McDonald captured the spectacle on his phone.
"It was a mass aerial stunt by these amazing birds and in all my 14 years working for SP Energy Networks, I have never seen anything like it," Mr McDonald said.
"For all the birds looked small, the sheer number of them caused the wires to bounce up and down as they danced on and off - there's actually three wires between those poles and when they clash together, the power will go off for around 10 seconds or so at a time.
"That's what's been happening quite frequently, with some of these clashes causing wider damage and longer outages."

Full Article here

Kits - I'm always concerned that when the big Brushtail Possums do their high wire traverse on my domestic electricity supply line - they'll do the same ! 😲

Chosun 🙆

An engineer investigating mystery power outages in a Scottish village has discovered they were caused by a spectacular murmuration of starlings.
Villagers in Airth, near Falkirk, were bewildered by the brief early-evening interruptions to their power supply.
Initially power firm SP Energy Networks was also unable to explain the problem.
But their engineer Neil McDonald finally solved the mystery when he spotted thousands of birds "dancing" on overhead power cables.
The starlings were causing the lines to bounce and the power to trip between them, causing power cuts of just a few minutes in about 50 local homes.
Mr McDonald captured the spectacle on his phone.
"It was a mass aerial stunt by these amazing birds and in all my 14 years working for SP Energy Networks, I have never seen anything like it," Mr McDonald said.
"For all the birds looked small, the sheer number of them caused the wires to bounce up and down as they danced on and off - there's actually three wires between those poles and when they clash together, the power will go off for around 10 seconds or so at a time.
"That's what's been happening quite frequently, with some of these clashes causing wider damage and longer outages."

Full Article here
This sounds like a LOT of Starlings MURMURING

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back